Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alarm Going Off - Immobilizer Alarm/LED codes

Ricstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hello.
Alarm going off intermittently. Eg after say 20 minutes or sometimes 8 hrs.
What i have assessed so far:
After Alarm has gone off. Returned to car and pressed unlock from Fob. Put key in ignition.
LED flashes are as follows. 3,3 4,4 5,5. Now from the car manual that 4 flashes is Passenger door either front or rear, 5 = drivers door and 6 = hot wire attempted. But nothing tells me what 3 Flashes, then 3 flashes, then 4 flashes, then 4 flashes, then 5 flashes, then 5 flashes, then cycles back to 3 etc.
As I have a Calais, I have the BCM - High whereby the door switches are double pole. So provides a circuit for the door light as well as signal to the BCM for the interior Dome light.
Battery voltage is 12.55 to 12.7v. These voltages at rest are the same as my Pajero. I can get higher If I plug in a CTEK charger to bring up to 13V.

Another symptom is that the interior light on DOME sometimes is on, even though doors are closed, Bonnet and boot, glovebox and centre consoles are closed, including after turning the ignition on, or waiting 30 seconds timer so BCM turns off the DOME /earth circuit.
I can turn off interior dome by moving the switch to off.

But the consequence of this issue is that when the dome light can stay/be on and as the BCM is providing earth to the dome circuit, the key fob cannot lock the doors as it thinks the/a door is open.
I can still manually lock the drivers door which in turn locks all doors and does this without arming the alarm. I just have to switch the dome light to off so as to not flatten the Battery.
thanks to this forum, i have the Wiring diagram for the Interior Illumination circuits

I have tested all door switches. Thanks to someone who posted and uploaded a ZIP file with wiring diagrams. I can turn off the dome light/force the BCM to turn off the earth to the dome circuit (So go open Cct) by having the drivers door switch unscrewed and out. If I have the double switch contacts so the wire going to the BCM White/Blue - (0v/earth) - connects to the Door safety lamp - White wire (12v) the interior Dome works normally. However based on this, if I also then have the switch to body earthed as it would be screwed into the door pillar, the BCM does not disconnect the DOME output circuit to open Circuit and so keeps it earthed so Dome stays on when switched to "Door"
I also tested all wiring from Door switches to BCM and no shorts. Asso no shorts from other lamp buttons, e.g. bonnet, glovebox, centre console, boot.

Whilst I have the Drivers door open and switch removed, but just connecting the BCM -White/Blue 0v/Earth to the Door lamp 12v White and NOT the body earth via the door button screw, opening and closing all passengers doors, the Dome light works as usual. No faults. As each door switch is double pole, the wire going to the door lamp is 12v as expected via the door lamp to 12v circuit and the 2nd wire back to BCM trigger - White is 0v.
Note, my VT1 Calais with BCM-High does NOT have an Illumination Relay and I believe it is internal to the BCM. I can hear it click when dome goes on/off, etc

So I would love some feedback and advice.
1) What is the 3,4,5 LED's mean?
2) Anyone have the section on the tech manual for the BCM, Illumination and Alarm with fault finding/test processes?
2) Anyone know of someone in Brisbane who can Run diags on the BCM and not want an arm or a leg or sacrifice my first born child? Local dealer wants an hour labour just to read BCM codes, but says his techs are not experienced anymore with the VT so cannot guarantee and most likely will not know what they are doing but confirm, they are aware of how to bill me for the pleasure.

I think If I can resolve the DOME light issues, it will fix using the key to lock doors / Arm the alarm issue.

Appreciate any feedback and thoughts.
Thanks In Advance.
Rick S.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Every problem l've had with interior lights, passenger door locks unlocking when driving, drivers door power window not working.
Maybe more issues, can't remember. It's been the right hand plug on the bcm, which was loose & just needed pushing back in, or some of the pins not lining up, & connecting properly on the same plug.

Your problem possibly something else?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Get a new dome light if the light activates by it self it will set off the alarm, if all the switchers are working well that's the issue.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
2 flashers= bonnet.
3 " " " = boot or tailgate.
4 " " " = passenger door front or back.
5 " " " = Drivers door.
6 " " " = hot wire attempt.

Last edited:

Ricstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Thanks for your replies Trev.
Re the Dome light. If I switch it to the DOOR or OFF position, Alarm randomly goes off. Even in the OFF, position, whereby no completed circuit and current can go through it, it still goes off.
So in the OFF position, there is no way it can complete a circuit, but I will heed your thoughts and check it next. Initially, I will try just disconnecting the 12v positive feed into the dome light assembly. Then set the alarm and wait and see if it randomly goes off.
Regarding the details you gave me re LED flashes. As I mentioned in my initial post, i get a cycle of 3, then 3, then 4, then 4, then 5, then 5 LED flashes and cycle back to 3 again. I thought this might be a code for say current sensing alarm and eg. say a cooling system fan relay going on by itself and sudden current draw is what is triggering the BCM/Alarm
So keen to know if someone has a Holden Tech manual where it advises of LED codes outside of what is in the User Manual.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks for your replies Trev.
Re the Dome light. If I switch it to the DOOR or OFF position, Alarm randomly goes off. Even in the OFF, position, whereby no completed circuit and current can go through it, it still goes off.
So in the OFF position, there is no way it can complete a circuit, but I will heed your thoughts and check it next. Initially, I will try just disconnecting the 12v positive feed into the dome light assembly. Then set the alarm and wait and see if it randomly goes off.
Regarding the details you gave me re LED flashes. As I mentioned in my initial post, i get a cycle of 3, then 3, then 4, then 4, then 5, then 5 LED flashes and cycle back to 3 again. I thought this might be a code for say current sensing alarm and eg. say a cooling system fan relay going on by itself and sudden current draw is what is triggering the BCM/Alarm
So keen to know if someone has a Holden Tech manual where it advises of LED codes outside of what is in the User Manual.
Like what I gave you 3 is your boot light coming on, the rest I already explained the cycle is just a repeat, either your switch isn't pressing down far enough or its got a earth short in your wiring.

Ricstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Has it got a after market alarm?
Nope, no aftermarket alarm. Just Stock.
Have noticed as well last couple of days everything been normal.
Interior light/DOME not stuck on on DOOR setting with doors and central lock/unlock all working normally.

So the issue I thought was an intermittent short on the interior Dome light coming on on its own and causing alarm to go off, so i did a test.
I parked the car up. Sitting in the car, I opened drivers door, closed door. pushed lock button on key and doors locked and so alarm is active. Then I turned on the interior lamp from DOOR to ON, expecting the current/voltage sensing to activate the alarm, but it didn't. And also did same with headlights. Turned them on and Nope, no Alarm activation
So I am thinking on my VT1 - BCM-High, I don't have the vibration sensor or current sensing/voltage drop sensing for the alarm.
I then unlocked the drivers door from the inside - button up - whilst alarm still on and all doors unlocked, but no alarm. and when I then opened the drivers door, and yes, then the alarm/horn sounded until I pressed button to unlock. So only door/boot and bonnet buttons set off the alarm.

So am still keen to know when my alarm has gone off on its own overnight, why the LED is showing 3,4,then 5 flashes, when i know the Boot, Drivers and passenger doors have not been touched and cannot see a short in the 2 circuits (Drivers and Passenger doors is one circuit and boot light is on another).
I will keep testing and assessing.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
That's why I asked if it had a after market inline with the original, I think from memory the drivers side door is the master switch and all other lines feed from it, but 3 is your boot so even though its not getting touched it can go off if it has a short. Correct they don't have any load resistance detection, I be removing one switch at a time starting from boot and bonnet so it doesn't touch earth and see if then which line is doing it, if that don't work I be looking to see if your bcm is faulty.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Oh the switch has to touch on the door jam to earth out to go off, doesn't work like that on dome light hence the reason your boot has to be the problem that's why 3 is flashing then 4 and 5 as the car alarm comes active. Best thing is to find out on your bcm which wire feeds your boot and so on and snip the wire to see which one has the short or take it to a auto elec.

Last edited: