Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloy Cleaning/Polishing

H

harrop.senator

Ali Brite chemical cleaning solution to stabilise the oxidisation and then a denim mop followed by a fine buff if have access to a bench grinder with wheels.

With even a 7" car polisher I've always sanded to at least 2000 before polishing.

I've been an idiot polishing alloy for fifteen years no bench grinder til few weeks ago. Denim mop literally takes out 500 grit orbital sanding marks lol.

Just have to keep on them I haven't tried cerakote polished alloy clear yet but haven't found a lacquer or two pack that doesn't lift or yellow.

Also I've been working on a clevo for dad is your car the same yellow as boss 302? And did you paint the bay to match or were falcons always colour matched?

His bays satin black and about to be repainted I was pretty sure it looked stock with it. Hopefully don't paint it satin black thinking it's back to original and it's supposed to be yella haha.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
yep agree the marks are oxidisation, you could try a multiple nylon wheel like a wire wheel but don't use wire, even brass will tarnish alloys. Nylon wheel will work on carby but not polish it.

Other option to remove completely marks and does 1st stage of polishing is getting covers aqua blasting and then doing last part of polish with a electric wheel.

I had some some old oxidised alloy covers done by a water blasting mob last year and came out brilliant and reasonably priced. I had covers 2K clear coated after but be aware clear on alloy will be a slightly grey in shade but no to bad if your not fussy for a high chrome polished look.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I have successfully used soda blasting on 1950s bikes to deal with oxidisation followed by wet and dry them mechanical polishing. You can make a soda blaster easily - check YouTube.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
I have successfully used soda blasting on 1950s bikes to deal with oxidisation followed by wet and dry them mechanical polishing. You can make a soda blaster easily - check YouTube.
why waste your time and make a mess, $40 aqua blasting for 2 covers is good value

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Why build a car instead of buying one?
Why do your own panel repairs?

Hydro is an option, soda is also a valid option.

Make the blaster yourself and do it for enjoyment and satisfaction. If it’s not your cup of tea you don’t have to use it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I looked into aqua blasting but couldn't find anywhere to get in done in Launceston.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you have a link to the soda blaster. I'd like one for stripping paint.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Not sure it would be great at stripping paint . Depends on how much and how thick. Check out This link

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Old neighbour had a bloke come out and strip his entire car with soda. It was done in his garage.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I have used it a lot on really grubby bike parts with great success. Never thought of using it on paint, and I have a Ute in need of some paint stripping so I may give it a go.