Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloy marks

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Could anyone please tell me the likely cause of these marks on the alloys of a VF1 CalaisV which is just about to come out of warranty (coming up 3 yrs old with under 30k on the clock)?

The marks are on all 4 alloys but this one is the worst - definitely not gutter rash.
The marks seem permanent and I'm not sure if they have got worse over time as it is not my car.

I'm mainly wondering what could be the cause and if it is likely to be claimable under warranty?
alloy rim2.jpg

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I had the exact same problem on my CalaisV wheels. It is caused by moisture getting under the clear coat in the manufacturing process (Thailand).
My spare in the boot was fine, but all four on the car were replaced under warranty. I have a post on it somewhere.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey thanks for that dgp - much appreciated!
So I'm figuring the Dealer will probably know nothing about it but I'll look for your thread.
Cheers!

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
It's a manufacturing fault, you shouldn't have any problem having them replaced.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's a manufacturing fault, you shouldn't have any problem having them replaced.
Yes, thanks heaps guys - it goes in Tues for the final service before it comes out of warranty on 31/12.
Will be interesting to see how they handle this - a couple of the rims have quite bad gutter rash yet the rest of the vehicle (Prussian Steel) is spotless and obviously well cared for and averaging less than 10k per year for the 3 years.
As it is not due to wear & tear I'm not sure they can refuse a arrant claim? (Try as they may). To replace I'm wondering if they would try & source rims in similar condition - without the corrosion of course- or would they be obliged to provide new? - & would that mean possibly having to resort to VF2 rims (not pushing for this as the current ones look classy on the CalaisV I reckon).

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Love to know how you get on with the dealer
Will be sure to let you know ndw... this close to Christmas I'm expecting any follow through to be delayed some weeks into the new year.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
If you have some bad gutter rash, they might source second hand. My rims were immaculate apart from the strange lines under the clear coat.
In reality though, the rims are not that expensive.

vfssstorm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Storm