Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alpine or iQ

Alpine or Holden iQ

• Total voters

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Stuff it all go full custom :)
But out of the two options i would go IQ just because of the way it looks and integrates, not to many of these guys have had to use the touchscreen HVAC controls, I did for about a year and trust me they are annoying and distracting.
screenshot20130212at131.jpg

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
I thought long and hard about the iq unit but it was just too expensive. Plus I spoke to a friend and I'm getting the whole 8 inch unit installed under 2k. Which really helped my decision making.

Blockab

R8WAGZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE HSV CLUBSPORT R8 TOURER
I thought long and hard about the iq unit but it was just too expensive. Plus I spoke to a friend and I'm getting the whole 8 inch unit installed under 2k. Which really helped my decision making.

Installed for under 2k is an unreal price hookup considering i believe rrp on the 8" is 2k+ im well impressed

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
2 grand or close to for the alpine unit is bullshit over priced. Even the IQ is too dear. Thats why im keeping my series 1 ssv stock. I have the ipod lead running through the rear aux. I can't justify that cost on a head unit.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

SSfluro

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 08 & VY SS 04
I think the iq is still a worthy upgrade under 2k I am planning on getting this upgrade myself +1 for iq

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
This might be a bit out there, but has anyone tried to install a VF MyLink system into their VE?

bosmonaut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th Anniversay Edition
Go the IQ with a good Audio processor. I put a JL Cleansweep and a couple of external amps on mine. While it probably isn't quite the same as the Alpine sound it's a massive improvement on the standard output and sound it had before.
Plus The Alpine fascia is ugly regardless of sound. it looks like the climate buttons belong in something retro like a VK

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
Go the IQ with a good Audio processor. I put a JL Cleansweep and a couple of external amps on mine. While it probably isn't quite the same as the Alpine sound it's a massive improvement on the standard output and sound it had before.
Plus The Alpine fascia is ugly regardless of sound. it looks like the climate buttons belong in something retro like a VK

Thats the old 7inch alpine with the ugly buttons.

ve_solution_close_angle_nav_menu.jpg

The new 8" has the touch screen

VE%20commodore%20image.png

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
I had the top one and it annoyed the crap out of me. Every time I went through a tunnel, the voice would say GPS signal lost. No ****, we're in a tunnel or I'm in my car park or at the shopping centre.

The Navigation was also pretty ordinary. Some of the streets were assigned to the wrong suburb so it was impossible to find them using the GPS. If you were looking for a street and it had been split, the GPS would call it "South" whatever street name, even though the street you are looking for hasn't actually been named South..... Street. And of course you can't scroll through close matches because that would make too much sense. I would say about a third of the time I had to use my mobile instead of the Alpine GPS.

One word to describe the system: ****. If there was a more harsh and descriptive word I could think of right now I would use that.

Hopefully, the new version is better but I think it would have to be nearly impossible to get rid of all of the bugs in the previous unit.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
That must be the actual headunit, not the HVAC controls. I put a Pioneer headunit in and think the Nav is pretty good. Sounds like I made the right choice as far as the unit is concerned. Buttons still look ugly though..... but functionality makes it worth it for me.