Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alpine type R pack

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Your total there is $2130.
Installation was $495.
Fitting kit was $70.

Total is now up to $2695.

Is all the stuff you've quoted grey import or legit Australian alpine gear? I'd rather spend a bit more so that I can walk into the shop and have them fix it free of charge without having to pay for removal fee, repair fee and re-installation fee.
If it's still warranty, you still have to get it removed by certified dealer and reinstalled the same way to avoid voiding warranty.
I'm very happy with the price I got.

EDIT: Just for interests sake.... here is the research I did on these items. Please note that they are still in USD.

Sonicelectronix.com

Alpine X505s - $300
SWR-1223D - $85
SPR-17S - $150
SPR-17C - $90
PDX-F6 - $550
PDX-M6 - $400

Shipping - $72

Total - $1647

onlinecarstereo.com

Alpine X505s - $295
SWR-1223D - $139
SPR-17S - $139
SPR-17C - $89
PDX-F6 - $579
PDX-M6 - $379

Shipping - $?

Total - $1620

For an extra couple hundred dollars, I'm glad I've bought locally!

Yea that's $2130 without even negotiating. Mind you even with your totals it still came in cheaper than what you paid. All I can say to that is install it yourself. An install in my opinion isn't worth $495. And yes it's all legitimate. JB-Hifi will do those prices I listed. After all I did purchase my equipment from there. If you're happy with splashing an extra $1k then that's fine. But I certainly wouldn't be happy with parting with $1k for well... nothing? I also have the comfort of knowing that it was installed properly.

Most installers will do the dodgy here and there to save time. I know this from experience. I had my system installed by a reputable company here in Sydney. Most high end systems are installed by these guys, and I still wasn't happy with the install. Perhaps my standards are too high? I don't think so. I would expect any high end system to be installed properly. Never again will I have my system installed by someone else.

I've had Alpine gear for years now. Probably since I had my first system installed which was back in 2001. In my experience Alpine is reliable. The amps I'm running now I've had for 6+ years and haven't had an issue with them. I can see where you're coming from with warranty and such, but if it's installed properly from day 1 then you shouldn't have any issues.

You can get products cheaper like you mentioned from grey imports. I will probably do this from now on because in my opinion warranty isn't worth the extra couple of hundred $$$. It's only for 1 year and that's it.

anwickes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford XR6T
Yea that's $2130 without even negotiating. Mind you even with your totals it still came in cheaper than what you paid. All I can say to that is install it yourself. An install in my opinion isn't worth $495. And yes it's all legitimate. JB-Hifi will do those prices I listed. After all I did purchase my equipment from there. If you're happy with splashing an extra $1k then that's fine. But I certainly wouldn't be happy with parting with $1k for well... nothing? I also have the comfort of knowing that it was installed properly.

Most installers will do the dodgy here and there to save time. I know this from experience. I had my system installed by a reputable company here in Sydney. Most high end systems are installed by these guys, and I still wasn't happy with the install. Perhaps my standards are too high? I don't think so. I would expect any high end system to be installed properly. Never again will I have my system installed by someone else.

I've had Alpine gear for years now. Probably since I had my first system installed which was back in 2001. In my experience Alpine is reliable. The amps I'm running now I've had for 6+ years and haven't had an issue with them. I can see where you're coming from with warranty and such, but if it's installed properly from day 1 then you shouldn't have any issues.

You can get products cheaper like you mentioned from grey imports. I will probably do this from now on because in my opinion warranty isn't worth the extra couple of hundred $$$. It's only for 1 year and that's it.

You really think JB will do that head unit at $350?
Look what's done is done.... So I may have lost a few hundred $$... it's not $1000 because I don't know how to install myself. You want to install it for me mate? No, well I have to pay for installation don't I.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Look I'm not having a go at you. All I'm saying is that you could have saved so much. Everyone starts somewhere. You could've had a go yourself. I did and along the way picked up some tips and tricks. But again in saying this it's not for everyone. Some people don't like to get their hands dirty. It's just a suggestion to the OP.

anwickes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford XR6T
I installed the stereo into my last car and it was just a massive pain in the arse. I could have done it again but I have been into there lab and seen and heard their work and like what they do so I am happy to pay them to do it. :)

anwickes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford XR6T
Stereo is in and sounds amazing!!! Would definitely recommend BOG.

bog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy acclaim
thats greet mate. got ya pics ready yet?