Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator light comes on and off

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
So in engineering mode, the OP stated the battery is showing 3.5%, yet prior to alternator replacement, the battery was showing 75%....

So does this mean the alternator is over charging the battery , perhaps leading to premature battery failure.

Information gotten from post #94...
I recon it needs time to update the readings,
Possible a few start/stops & drives to recalibrate the charge changes/readings,
Interesting the time it needs to be off.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
taxi drivers were not impressed when told they had to park the cab for 8 hours after getting a new battery

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
taxi drivers were not impressed when told they had to park the cab for 8 hours after getting a new battery
I can well imagine.

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That is correct and exactly what this whole "discussion" was about 15.2 not 14.7
Your understanding of “discussion” is somewhat lacking if you think abuse toward JC members is part of that process. In part it’s why I partly dropped out from responding to you :rolleyes:

And here’s me thinking that forums were the best for exchange of information and for learning without reprisals :rolleyes: Bit what I’ve learnt in this thread is that some think it’s ok to tell people to FOAD :confused:

May be social media would be a better match for your ”discussions” ;)

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Your understanding of “discussion” is somewhat lacking if you think abuse toward JC members is part of that process. In part it’s why I partly dropped out from responding to you :rolleyes:

And here’s me thinking that forums were the best for exchange of information and for learning without reprisals :rolleyes: Bit what I’ve learnt in this thread is that some think it’s ok to tell people to FOAD :confused:

May be social media would be a better match for your ”discussions” ;)
Listen sunshine you dropped out because you don't own a VE or a diagnostic tool for one but were trying to tell me how they work. Maybe you should pull your head in, read more carefully and you might learn something.
Yes you would like me to leave and so would some of your "mates" but bad luck sunshine maybe you should go and find somewhere where kissing each others behind and accepting false information as fact comes naturally.
All I can see on JC is a bunch of long term members getting their little panties in a twist when they are called out by a new person.
If experience was driven by how long someone was a member of a forum then that might be ok but as far as I can see some people are just as stupid now as what they were when they joined 20 years ago whereas some have actually read and learned. Have a guess which group you are in.

Still waiting for the wiring diagrams so you can show me all the modules on a VE are on the high speed bus like your other mate told you. The moment I called you out on that and said you can't show me as it's incorrect you scarpered.
Typical tell a lie get caught out and then try to belittle the person who called you out but it doesn't work on me.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'll clarify, the song I posted and picture I posted aren't directed at ANYONE at all

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
Maybe his battery is badly sulphated from having a dud alternator and is already damaged and the new alternator and the feedback is correct now. Time will tell when the OP returns and lets us know how he is getting on with the alternator and battery.
I would not be surprised if his battery has a shorter life now due to the bad alternator as we don't know really how long it was playing up.
As of now the alternator operating within the parameters everyone seems to have set, no more then 15.2 ish and no less then 13.4ish, and I also replaced the battery with a new one a couple days before the new alternator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
It might be that, or (if you have a read of the information posted by @lout ), the system takes 8 hours of ‘off’ time to re-determine the state of charge of the battery. So the 3.5% reading might be the initial reading before the system has had sufficient time to re-determine a more accurate result?

But, yes, chronic undercharging of the battery won’t be good for the battery. I don’t suspect that over-charging was the issue in this case.

(Oh, and thanks for providing the post # - definitely helpful). :)
Yeah I think that’s what happens as this morning when I started the car it was reading 100% soc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore sv6 ute
I recon it needs time to update the readings,
Possible a few start/stops & drives to recalibrate the charge changes/readings,
Interesting the time it needs to be off.
Chrisp said 8 hours and that seemed to be right for me, next morning after alternator swap and it’s reading 100%

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Maybe you should pull your head in

You are the one who needs to pull their head in.
Yes you would like me to leave and so would some of your "mates" but bad luck sunshine

Keep it up and you will be the one with bad luck.
If experience was driven by how long someone was a member of a forum then that might be ok but as far as I can see some people are just as stupid now as what they were when they joined 20 years ago whereas some have actually read and learned. Have a guess which group you are in.

You need to consider if you are going to start being a friendly member of this forum or leave. Either that or you can continue being rude and insulting and we will make the choice for you.