Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator light comes on and off

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How many people does it take to Tango?

This certainly got out of hand.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
You are the one who needs to pull their head in.

Keep it up and you will be the one with bad luck.

You need to consider if you are going to start being a friendly member of this forum or leave. Either that or you can continue being rude and insulting and we will make the choice for you.
Tatiana I know where you are coming from but some people also need to realise that giving false information to members can cause immense distress to them especially after they have just spent money on their car.
Now I realise two members are playing victim now even though one of them only joined in to get a reaction from me but if you read the entire thread this whole thing could have been avoided if one member had actually read the GM/Holden specs for what he was giving advice on and was told that and replied that he did not need to read them as he knows what he is talking about.
He has since been proven wrong and still won't admit to it but that is ok he would rather play victim now and unfortunately admin want to take sides when all three of us are as guilty as hell but I will be a man and take it on the chin and move on.
Doubtful that the two other guilty parties will so the same as they were just hoping and praying you would ban me so that would have enabled them to say they won in private PM's. Anyway best of luck to the OP of this thread and I hope your car runs better now with the alternator running exactly to GM Holden specs and nothing like the specs you were advised they should be.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
How many people does it take to Tango?

This certainly got out of hand.
The tango is a dance which requires two partners moving in relation to each other, sometimes in tandem, sometimes in opposition.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Maybe his battery is badly sulphated from having a dud alternator and is already damaged and the new alternator and the feedback is correct now. Time will tell when the OP returns and lets us know how he is getting on with the alternator and battery.
I would not be surprised if his battery has a shorter life now due to the bad alternator as we don't know really how long it was playing up.
This is the entire reason, going back to the start of the thread, I said to go through basic checks (with links to the the cheap tool required) on the charge circuit, load testing the battery and checking the battery health.

However assumptions were made to verify those. Data needs to be collected to verify it. Most of what is covered in the pages since could have been either avoided or verified by doing the proper tests.

And here we are.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1.5 and series 2 data is not easy to find outside of Holden. There is no series 2 factory manual publicly available.

As it stands, getting genuine GM info is limited and been displayed to this point from training modules and the factory workshop manual.

The only other alternative source of data for series 1.5 or 2 is to use the VF data or information relative to the various similar aspects of the engine, of which is not relative to this thread.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1.5 and series 2 data is not easy to find outside of Holden. There is no series 2 factory manual publicly available.

As it stands, getting genuine GM info is limited and been displayed to this point from training modules and the factory workshop manual.

The only other alternative source of data for series 1.5 or 2 is to use the VF data or information relative to the various similar aspects of the engine, of which is not relative to this thread.
Although not really public the service manual information is available via Acdelcotds SPS2

Service Information​

General Motors Service Repair Manual Information (does not contain software)
Campaigns & Bulletins from 2002 to present
Unit repair manuals from 1997 to present
Service manuals from 2002 to present (some back to 1986)
Owner manuals and maintenance schedules refer to holden.com.au and gmspecialtyvehicles.com
GM Mode 6 Data & OBD-II Diagnostic Parameters
1 Day* $28.00
1 Month $206.00
1 Year $1,642.00
All prices do not include GST but are in AUD

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
“Not easy to find outside of Holden”

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pay a one day subscription and have a full large toner cartridge and print the entire manual, might need two cartridges.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Pay a one day subscription and have a full large toner cartridge and print the entire manual, might need two cartridges.
Might need more than one day, depending how quick that printer is? ;)