Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator? Lost all steering and electrics doing their own thing.

baykuh10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
Absolutely no idea about cars!!

For the past couple of weeks my car has been having issues starting every now and again. 3 days ago, if I didn't start my car as soon as I unlocked it, the battery would die and I would have to jump start it.

Yesterday, I had a new battery installed. Today, I started the car and it died straight away... this happened about 3-4 times and then finally stayed running but it was revving a lot like I had my foot on and off the accelerator. It came good so I started driving.. All of sudden the door locks started to click like it was trying to lock (they were already locked), the stability control turned on and off constantly then all of a sudden I lost all steering and the car died in the middle of an intersection.

I called out RAC and all he did was tell me that when the car was running that the battery was putting out 13-14 volts but it should be putting out 16 (which I have since found out isn't the case) and that I need a new alternator...

Can anyone confirm or give me any ideas on what it could be? As I said, I have no clue about cars so have no idea where to go from here.

Thanks