Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another mechanics are F!#*ed thread

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I used to have a good mechanic in Clayton till a few years ago .He was a little Italian guy. After he worked on your car he would make you take it for a drive before you paid for the work done to it .

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Scooter79, that is quiet a common occurance on VS's that when the pump fails it pumps little bits of broken o rings through the complete power steering system. The problem is, that no matter how good you flush the system you will never get all the little bits out. When you buy a reco power steering pump for a VS, the supplier "strongly" recommends replacing the rack too because the bits of o ring will only cause problems down the track!

However, they should have told you that straight up, that the pump & rack should be done as one job otherwise it will cause problems! Then, if you choose not to have the rack done at the same time, the ball is in your court if anything goes wrong with it down the track!

As has been said, no one will say when they find a good mechanic, but if they have a bad experience they are the first to jump up & down. The problem is, yes it is how a mechanic deals with a stuff up, but people never bring a car back to have the job rectified they simply bad mouth you and go somewhere else! We are all human, we all make mistakes.......its just a fact of life! So, to me if you dont take the car back to the mechanic to give them a go at rectifying the problem, you are your own worst enemy. A good mechanic/establishment will fix it without a drama and all will be good, but that never happens in this game, people are too quick to bag companys out!

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
Thanks there Hillerus, and Not_An_Abba_Fan, good to see some people are sticking up for us mechanics, oh, and sometimes just so you all know, when we "paly the blame game' that dont mean we are covering for something, like for example the ski boat i was working on a few weeks ago, simple tune up, however we found it to be running on 5 cyls, and no compression on 3,5,7. Turns out they had driven it with a stuffed water pump, so off came the heads and went to the reconditioners, 1 head completely u/s so we now had to wait 2 weeks for another head to arive, and be cleaned up, thats ok, no ones fault, however after we get the heads on, everything started, water flowing through system, well, we noticed that the head that wasnt replaced obviously hadnt been externaly crack tested, leaking from a crack on the outside of the head, no when we ring the customer and tell him the machine shop ****ed up because when crack testing the heads, they didnt do the outside, are we "playing the blame game" or simply being honest in letting you know why your boat isnt ready yet, as it is, we wore the labor costs of fitting the new head, it just the way we are, it wasnt the customers fault after all, so why should he have to pay for it - See not all of us are ****ed!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bilbs, as long as you ended up with a happy customer, then the right thing has been done by all!

See, thats another problem, when out sourceing a job you are trusting another person to do their job properly! If they dont do their job properly the mechanic is the one that has to explain to the customer that there has been a stuff up but it was by a third party! But, in most instances, they instantly assume (stands for makes an ass out of u and me) that the blame game is being played and its the mechanics fault!

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Just a little question for the everyone?

If a part is sourced by the mechanic and fitted and the part proves to be defective, who should pay for the extra labor change in removing and fitting?I know who normally pays, but who SHOULD pay?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh, thats a real dillemma.....

Realisticly, in a perfect world (which we dont live in) the part manufacturer should foot the bill for the extra labor for doing the job twice. However, that never happens so the mechanic ends up doing the job a second time for free as a good will gesture to the customer!

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
Usualy thats how it goes down, but it all depends, i know we fitted a defective part, and our supplier DID foot the bill for it (not the labor costs of course) so i guess thats the best you can ever get, what ****s me is when we fit a defective part supplied by the customer, and yet they still demand that we replace it free of charge to them

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
Just a little question for the everyone?

If a part is sourced by the mechanic and fitted and the part proves to be defective, who should pay for the extra labor change in removing and fitting?I know who normally pays, but who SHOULD pay?

Best part about this little transaction is the customer generally gets the sads up big time with the workshop. Some people don't seem to realise that most cases its just a remove and refit, so unless said part falls off, its really the part manufacturers problem.

But I don't think the customer should ever be expected to reach into their pocket in this instance.

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
Mum got a new radiator supplied and fitted by her mechanic, the idiot delivery guy dropped it when delivering it (it was in a box but the core is fairly fragile), the mechanic filled it and didnt find any holes but told my mum to bring it back in after a week or so juss to double check it, turned out it had a small leak in it (steam was escaping slightly and the water level dropped), the mechanic paid for a new one and fitted free, although he lost a bit of money at the time, mum has been taking her car there for 20 odd years now....