Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anybody else considering 'retiring' their VF to weekend duties?

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
Just sold my 2011 VE SS ute with only 21,000ks,hope to do the same with my Redline,I have a 1990 Nissan slash back I drive to work and hated shops,hope it lasts 12mths more,good drive train just the body is clagged.

MOIRAE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII 6.2LS3 Calais
I really want to park mine up. Under 50,000kms would be ideal. So much so I have been looking for a $2k shopping trolley target to do the daily stuff.

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline Manual Heron White
Mine is only a weekender, I estimate mine will do approximately 5k km a year. Im lucky enough to be provided a work car as a daily and the mrs has her Prado as the shopping cart. She can't drive a manual, so no risk of her taking the SS to the shops! :)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Forking out 2k for rego and insurance + logbook servicing and then stashing it away makes no sense to me ;)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Dude, the logbook doesn't need servicing - you're being ripped!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Every **** is a comedian now

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Drive them, don’t hide them away. Take life's pleasures whenever you can.
As for a future investment, I don’t think they will be in the same category as early Falcon GTs, Monaros, Toranas, HDTs, are today. The automotive scene is going to change drastically in the next 20 > 25 years, either by obsolescence or legislation, whether we like it or not, and those who have put them away for a sunny day or profit are going to miss out.
When I bought my Monaro, my workmates all said “Why drive it to work ? Put it away in the garage and it will be worth a lot one day.”
My reply was that I bought it to drive it, and as for being worth a lot one day, not in my lifetime.
The only excuse I can think of them not being a daily drive, is if they are parked outside in the baking sun, getting covered with industrial fallout, leaves and bird-crap, or being driven 2km to the shops and back.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I originally bought mine as a daily but as these cars are now irreplaceable I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
I want to preserve it in showroom condition for decades to come, so it sits in the garage most of the time while I drive an old shitter to work which sits in the sun all day and gets covered in dust and bird sh!t.
The Redline only gets driven on clear sunny days and has done less than 4000km since I got it in March.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I originally bought mine as a daily but as these cars are now irreplaceable I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
I want to preserve it in showroom condition for decades to come, so it sits in the garage most of the time while I drive an old shitter to work which sits in the sun all day and gets covered in dust and bird sh!t.
The Redline only gets driven on clear sunny days and has done less than 4000km since I got it in March.

What a load of ****. You can still buy them new now and in 36-60 months time there will be plenty on the market as they come out of lease. Of course values may hold up a tad more than in the past but they will still be around, just not new, same as any previous model you care to name that was superseded.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
What a load of ****. You can still buy them new now and in 36-60 months time there will be plenty on the market as they come out of lease. Of course values may hold up a tad more than in the past but they will still be around, just not new, same as any previous model you care to name that was superseded.

When the last VF's are sold, you will never again be able to walk into a dealer and buy a NEW Australian made rwd V8 Commodore. So yes, to me it is irreplaceable.