Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anybody else considering 'retiring' their VF to weekend duties?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Aside from the VF, we have a little VW Polo, whilst a great car, with kid number three on the way we seriously need a bigger car. We're looking at a Kia Carnival (yeah I know..the automotive equivalent of a tax audit..)

Anyhow, we were originally going to trade the VW, or sell privately, but my research tells me that the max we'll get is ~$9k. So my thoughts turned to hanging onto the little thing for me to use as a runabout and basically mothballing the VF under a cover only to come out sporadically. I'm not under the illusion that it's anything overly special, but hey we can't buy any more of them brand new..and I want to keep the kms as low as possible while still enjoying the car from time to time.

Just wondering if anyone else has had thoughts of doing something similar? Cheers :)

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
No. Full noise all the way!

The Wagon will go into retirement at some stage coming out for special occasions but it will have done its duty.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Haha, fair point mate! I'm a bit torn as to whether to drive her or do as I suggested..head or heart, that the decision!

PS sweet looking car mate, love my Heron wagon too !

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Nah...
Will enjoy it every single day...and run the **** to the ground...

Once it is no longer reliable and clocks high k's i will probably rebuild it / modify it and then it can be my weekend transport :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Nah...

Once it is no longer reliable and clocks high k's i will probably rebuild it / modify it and then it can be my weekend transport :)
This!
My Magnum is now my daily, the Maloo only comes out on weekends, and I'll send the Redline to live with my dad.

The Magnum is just too good, not to use...

Ponza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk GroupA, VF SSV Redline
60C33EC9-68C2-4874-B309-7A088FA8B868.jpeg
Nah...

I have an ole VK GroupA and drive it every chance I get, I do around 6-7k every year in it.
Our Redline is also our daily, I just try to avoid shopping centres in it.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Aside from the VF, we have a little VW Polo, whilst a great car, with kid number three on the way we seriously need a bigger car. We're looking at a Kia Carnival (yeah I know..the automotive equivalent of a tax audit..)

Anyhow, we were originally going to trade the VW, or sell privately, but my research tells me that the max we'll get is ~$9k. So my thoughts turned to hanging onto the little thing for me to use as a runabout and basically mothballing the VF under a cover only to come out sporadically. I'm not under the illusion that it's anything overly special, but hey we can't buy any more of them brand new..and I want to keep the kms as low as possible while still enjoying the car from time to time.

Just wondering if anyone else has had thoughts of doing something similar? Cheers :)

Everyone is different(my jan 16 build VF2 has done 4500km) its a weekender atm but will be daily in a few years once my current daily VE Calais dies(not worth selling as not worth many $$$ but drives great etc) like your VW.

I;m 41 and hope to have VF going till I'm 60(if we have fuel then)

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I don't intentially not drive it but I usually only drive mine once a week to work. I hate leaving it outside in the sun and I'm also paranoid of other people. But on weekends we'll usually drive it.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I don't believe that the engineers that designed these cars did so with the idea of them being locked away.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are made for.