Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone got an SIDI Car? Whats it like?

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Does anyone know if the SIDI engines have similar bottom end punch like the ecotecs did?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Does anyone know if the SIDI engines have similar bottom end punch like the ecotecs did?

What do you mean? I've heard this said alot about ecotecs, but really, the alloytec reaches peak torque earlier in the rev range, has a better torque curve (90% 1600 -6200) uses.

I would say everything about the motor is better then the ecotec. If low down is all you want, get a 4.0l falcon

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
i prefer to change it myself too, thats why i specified mv5 on the options list! lol aisin 6spd manual ftw hahaha.

yeah mate, got a workshop more than capable of doing up a kit, its just my time (which i'm short of) and the outlay of prob 20k to get one all set up going well, looking factory, and tune all sorted properly - of course once you start selling kits (if there's a market out there, and to be truthful, with the difference between sv6 and ss only being $2500 or so, i'm not too sure if there is) you'd recover that money easily, i know that. i have the cash, thats not the problem, but just dont know for all the work, time, stress, etc involved if its worth while.

Yeah I totally hear and understand what your saying. Most people just go the V8, but a super or turbo 6 would still be nuts, considering some of them in the states are pulling big numbers.

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Bottom end punch as in you get a decent shove up the backside. The ecotecs have a decent shove compared to early alloytecs which lacked a fair bit down low. But ecotecs are harsh as hell any more than 4000 rpm...

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
fair enough, well it's alot better then the VZ's, that lacked alot down low, even in the non DI engines VE will beat VZ off the line even though they wiegh more.

driver/rider

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sidi sv6
had my sidi sv6 for 4 mouths 6000ks all is good was heavey on petrol at the start and has started returning 700ks mixed city and easy freeway driving 550ks round town stop start when my lead foot wife has it . in general the build is good road noise is not to bad very nice to drive as a family car .the yokohama tyres are good at 38psi but to me rool in tight corners and at 40psi they ride to hard. The rear suspenion is a little soft and at speed will float if the boot is loaded but keep in mind it rides very well as a family sedan only hard drivers would find the rear to soft .Plastics in side seem to mark /scuff easy my astra never scuffed as easy as theses plastics have other than that sounds great looks hot i love it and feels good on road

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Bottom end punch as in you get a decent shove up the backside. The ecotecs have a decent shove compared to early alloytecs which lacked a fair bit down low. But ecotecs are harsh as hell any more than 4000 rpm...

yep, but remember the new SIDI's also have different gearboxes. the old clunker gearbox on the older engines just doesnt compare to the new 6 speed box.

To M100,
if you're wanting torque/power, the SIDI's arent for you because they arent designed for that. the ford has an extra 100Nm of torque, so go for that.... but you dont get torque for free, so expect fuel use to be higher as well.

but for the best economy (and still decent response), I dont reckon you can beat an SIDI.

(but then I'm biased because I own one) ;)

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
Hmmm. I wonder if we will see any of these new motors dropped into early girls. Will have to wait until a few of them get crashed first I suppose. I imagine it would not be a simple conversion either.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
yep, but remember the new SIDI's also have different gearboxes. the old clunker gearbox on the older engines just doesnt compare to the new 6 speed box.

To M100,
if you're wanting torque/power, the SIDI's arent for you because they arent designed for that. the ford has an extra 100Nm of torque, so go for that.... but you dont get torque for free, so expect fuel use to be higher as well.

but for the best economy (and still decent response), I dont reckon you can beat an SIDI.

(but then I'm biased because I own one) ;)

Well they 'are' for you if you buy the 3.6l, not the 3.0l you should have said. The 3.0l does a good job for a small engine, for the fuel inclined and still has abit of shove. Not a bad combo

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
i like kurzman's signature.... something makes me think it was put in there purely for me... haha... and i thought you understood what i had meant