Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are 20's too big?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Victorian cops are arseholes when it comes to canaries.

They WILL defect you if too big.

In QLD we never had the worry about wheel size except for a roady but down here I personally wouldnt risk it.
I'd play it safe and go 19" or atleast keep a set of stockies incase it happens.

Also in Victoria it IS 2 inches. NOT the diameter!

NO its not. Look up the law mate, ring VicRoads. Just because a mate said so does not make it true. It is 15mm within original overall rolling diameter. Rim size does not matter.

I have posted the direct law like 150 times on this website. Do a search or find it on the Vic Roads Website... It is VSI 8: Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles section 8 'Wheels and Tyres'. VSI 8 is here, just go to section 8: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh okay,
What bout 19's should be more fine, but still not legal yea?

Both 19's AND 20's are legal providing you have the right tyres and offset. Rim size is irrelevant really.

But 19's are more practical imo and 20's just go too far in terms of tyre prices.

zouse

I Love my VT
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt acclaim
Both 19's AND 20's are legal providing you have the right tyres and offset. Rim size is irrelevant really.

But 19's are more practical imo and 20's just go too far in terms of tyre prices.

lol, yes the tyre price is worth a set of rims alone

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909

I believe that the problem with 20's is actually the tyres. Load rating isn't high enough or something.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I believe that the problem with 20's is actually the tyres. Load rating isn't high enough or something.

There are tyres out there with legal load ratings but not in the cheaper price range. It used to be an issue a few years ago but theres a much larger variety of 20" tyres now days.

Personally i'd go 19" with fatter tyres instead of 20" with skinnier tyres :)

YEP-20S

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport
19 inch and 20 inch tyres are about the same price. but as i said before a 20 inch tyre usually doesnt have the correct load rating for a commy, ive been pulled up by nsw coppers and they dont say **** about my 20's, even though i have like 275 tyres on the rear. just depends on how bad the coppers are in your area

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
It is correct that its 15mm overall diameter, I proved this to a cop as he had defected me twice before for "wheels too big" when they werent, I got the info from vicroads and kept it in the car, they were legal, he even got out a tape measure...

turn around and defected me for an after market steering wheel and the exhaust sticking out too far though (dont think he as happy LOL)

Next thing is to make sure the tyres are the correct load rating! I have just bought 20's and have found only 1 tyre that meets the load rating requirements in the size I wanted and that wont foul on struts etc.

Can be done, but watch a lot of the packages sold as they come with incorrect load rated tyres.

Nankang NS2 in 245/30/20 is 95 load rated.

holden_102789

holden102789
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
20's are awsome is you like that sort of thing, i havnt haad any trouble with the cops, i got pulled over the other day and they said nothing, i forgot to mention i hate the 20's thats are all rim like this

products

i like my ones :D

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Victorian cops are arseholes when it comes to canaries.

They WILL defect you if too big.

In QLD we never had the worry about wheel size except for a roady but down here I personally wouldnt risk it.
I'd play it safe and go 19" or atleast keep a set of stockies incase it happens.

Also in Victoria it IS 2 inches. NOT the diameter!

WRONG. In vic you can go any diameter wheel. BUT you are limited to the overall diameter/circumference of rim+tyre combination to within 15mm diameter (i think) bigger or smaller. So if you put a huge rim on, you need a very small profile tyre so that the overall circumference is about the same. You are also limited by wheel width... you can only go 1" wider than the widest wheel that was release with you model car... refer to tyre placard on your car for this.