Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are all W375 packs the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
We have a 'Monstar ' thread, how about we get this thread back on topic.
Good suggestion. Sorry Imoengr, I got a bit lost in threads.

So, when in comes to the W375, oils ain't oils. They vary somewhat in tune, at least it would seem. I know of another A grade tuner that changes the recipe. Yet, they're all covered by the same Wallanty Mr Magoo. I suppose that shows it's not all plain vanilla, when in comes to walkinshaw packs, some tuners add their own flair.
I also wonder about the claim that some or all Walky tunes are significantly undercooked and overrated for driveline safety margin and marketing purposes. E.g. why build a safety margin into say a W375, by really only tuning to say 350kw to protect the engine and reduce warranty claims? When, the same engine is also tuned to 547kw (and well beyond by others) with the same warranty and very few mechanical failures? Then convince each and every tuner selling their 11 secret herbs and spices to tell the same lies, and sign a non disclosure agreement. It doesn't pass the smell test to me. It sounds like pure BS.
C&A Auto's vid above clearly shows their Walky tune delivers what about 301rwkw? Stock was 242 on the same dyno. Let's call it a 60rwkw gain. So, all other things being equal, that's 364 at the flywheel. 9kw shy of the badge. Now, we all know dyno results at the wheels vary significantly. So, assuming the same car, or another with the same mods on another dyno might see a 69kw increase, is entirely plausible I think. Or maybe they rounded up a little. No biggy. Tell me a retailer of any product who doesn't? It's marketing and it's legal, maybe even ethical and no doubt, the variability is there in the fine print somewhere.
So, I have my doubts that Walky packages are undercooked and overstated. No more than any others anyway. They are certainly expensive. But, as I've said before, if these packs are selling at the numbers intended in their budgets, and the warranty claims are few, then the pricing must be about right. The fact that you can purchase similar mods, maybe with higher results elsewhere is irrelevant. The market adjusts, supply and demand. Sure, the warranty is a big part of the deal. Whether it provides anything over consumer protection laws is one for the lawyers to debate. But, I would expect having contractual rights over and above consumer law rights is another layer of protection. One with a value. It also removes doubt and ambiguity around what is covered by their warranty and what is covered by Holden's. Afterall, the product (car) has been tampered with, and winning a claim against Holden, where mods did, or may have caused or significantly contributed to a product failure, may take a long time and deep pockets, with no guaranteed outcome. Consider the grief Ford Focus owners have gone through with their transmission issues and failures. Imagine taking on that fight alone, with mods that may have caused the failure. Good luck.
I think I'm starting to convince myself a W407 might be good for my MSE. Oh no, I can hear the Wife already:(;)

Last edited:

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
Progress, innovation and technology is great, but guys if you want good sound buy a 253 v8. They sound great with very little expense. So does my 318 Charger. Trying to get a great sound out of a sequential firing order V8 is a pain. To me anyway. LOL.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

So, when in comes to the W375, oils ain't oils. They vary somewhat in tune, at least it would seem. I know of another A grade tuner that changes the recipe. Yet, they're all covered by the same Wallanty Mr Magoo. I suppose that shows it's not all plain vanilla, when in comes to walkinshaw packs, some tuners add their own flair.
I also wonder about the claim that some or all Walky tunes are significantly undercooked and overrated for driveline safety margin and marketing purposes. E.g. why build a safety margin into say a W375, by really only tuning to say 350kw to protect the engine and reduce warranty claims? When, the same engine is also tuned to 547kw (and well beyond by others) with the same warranty and very few mechanical failures? Then convince each and every tuner selling their 11 secret herbs and spices to tell the same lies, and sign a non disclosure agreement. It doesn't pass the smell test to me. It sounds like pure BS.
C&A Auto's vid above clearly shows their Walky tune delivers what about 301rwkw? Stock was 242 on the same dyno. Let's call it a 60rwkw gain. So, all other things being equal, that's 364 at the flywheel. 9kw shy of the badge. Now, we all know dyno results at the wheels vary significantly. So, assuming the same car, or another with the same mods on another dyno might see a 69kw increase, is entirely plausible I think. Or maybe they rounded up a little. No biggy. Tell me a retailer of any product who doesn't? It's marketing and it's legal, maybe even ethical and no doubt, the variability is there in the fine print somewhere.
So, I have my doubts that Walky packages are undercooked and overstated. No more than any others anyway. They are certainly expensive. But, as I've said before, if these packs are selling at the numbers intended in their budgets, and the warranty claims are few, then the pricing must be about right. The fact that you can purchase similar mods, maybe with higher results elsewhere is irrelevant. The market adjusts, supply and demand. Sure, the warranty is a big part of the deal. Whether it provides anything over consumer protection laws is one for the lawyers to debate. But, I would expect having contractual rights over and above consumer law rights is another layer of protection. One with a value. It also removes doubt and ambiguity around what is covered by their warranty and what is covered by Holden's. Afterall, the product (car) has been tampered with, and winning a claim against Holden, where mods did, or may have caused or significantly contributed to a product failure, may take a long time and deep pockets, with no guaranteed outcome. Consider the grief Ford Focus owners have gone through with their transmission issues and failures. Imagine taking on that fight alone, with mods that may have caused the failure. Good luck.
I think I'm starting to convince myself a W407 might be good for my MSE. Oh no, I can hear the Wife already:(;)

I’ve never felt Walkinshaw were understating their tune outputs and as I’ve only had one dealing with them I can only relate to that and not what they may do across the board or since.

My car certainly produced on the dyno what I paid for but it was lacking compared to other cars I had with the same engine package and mods.

When I spoke to the tuner it was a simple matter of a lot was left on the table and if I wanted they’d retune it to match my other cars.

A top end dyno output doesn't mean jack compared to what may be happening performance wise as the car works it way up to that figure.

As I’m not racing nor do I feel at my age I need to be up there with the fastest on the streets I don’t necessarily want them to wring the neck out of it but I do prefer they take good advantage of the fitted mods and this is where I see Walkinshaw lacks.

Whatever the real reason is for them backing off when they could offer more is unknown to me but the argument that it is to be kinder to the driveline to reduce warranty issues is a reasonable one.

It could also be so they can significantly differentiate between the stages of packages they offer to entice the customer to spend even more.

I can truly understand the attractiveness of the Walkinshaw product but I am on record for stating they are not for me and it simply because I want that bit extra.

The fact that other standalone shops may do it cheaper is just an added bonus.

I’ve also been around cars for so long that I readily accept when something I mod breaks I have to pay for it but I know the thought of that frightens the proverbials out of some owners and a package like Walkinshaw with a warranty is the perfect solution for them.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Progress, innovation and technology is great, but guys if you want good sound buy a 253 v8. They sound great with very little expense. So does my 318 Charger. Trying to get a great sound out of a sequential firing order V8 is a pain. To me anyway. LOL.

Best sounding LS engine combo I've had was my SV8 4>1 headers with 100cpi cats (ballistic makes a difference had some ebay ones that were tinny) and twin 3" diffilppo system had a nice 5lt style burble to it. 2nd for me is the KPM exhaust on VE/VF but that's me.

Cant beat a old school 5L sound

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah the old thong clapper. Hard to beat. Pardon the pun.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ve never felt Walkinshaw were understating their tune outputs and as I’ve only had one dealing with them I can only relate to that and not what they may do across the board or since.

My car certainly produced on the dyno what I paid for but it was lacking compared to other cars I had with the same engine package and mods.

When I spoke to the tuner it was a simple matter of a lot was left on the table and if I wanted they’d retune it to match my other cars.

A top end dyno output doesn't mean jack compared to what may be happening performance wise as the car works it way up to that figure.

As I’m not racing nor do I feel at my age I need to be up there with the fastest on the streets I don’t necessarily want them to wring the neck out of it but I do prefer they take good advantage of the fitted mods and this is where I see Walkinshaw lacks.

Whatever the real reason is for them backing off when they could offer more is unknown to me but the argument that it is to be kinder to the driveline to reduce warranty issues is a reasonable one.

It could also be so they can significantly differentiate between the stages of packages they offer to entice the customer to spend even more.

I can truly understand the attractiveness of the Walkinshaw product but I am on record for stating they are not for me and it simply because I want that bit extra.

The fact that other standalone shops may do it cheaper is just an added bonus.

I’ve also been around cars for so long that I readily accept when something I mod breaks I have to pay for it but I know the thought of that frightens the proverbials out of some owners and a package like Walkinshaw with a warranty is the perfect solution for them.

Wisdom personified PH.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon

ill step in here.
So I have recently upgraded from a series 1 VF to a series 2 W375.
My first impressions at the test drive showed little difference in performance compared to my Series 1with a similar kit fitted.

Got it home and 1) cleaned MAF 2) moved IAT so its in path of on coming air, not tucked behind the MAF.

totally different car now.
more power across the range than my series 1.
No flat spots that I cant pick up.
Don't care if it does not have 375kw, it feels faster than my say 310 Kw series one.
Only thing I do not like. The tranny tune could be improved on.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Only thing I do not like. The tranny tune could be improved on.

That's a good point, probally tuned for the warranty.

Sounds stupid but would walkisahw do the current 7yr warranty offered? or is it just 3yr

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
That's a good point, probally tuned for the warranty.

Sounds stupid but would walkisahw do the current 7yr warranty offered? or is it just 3yr

probably right.
My old car had a lot firmer shifts 1-2 that's for sure.

Nota new one mate
8k on the clock late 2016 model, so only the 3 year warranty

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon

Say that last paragraph again cuda?

Status
Not open for further replies.