Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
Can a cop go to someones work and walk in and tell them to take their car down to the station at lunch time so they can defect it?

also is someone allowed to go to the police station and request records of all of their fines/traffic infringment notices, and defect notices for their car.

Of course they can! Whether or not you have to actually do it? I have no idea... Would have to get the answer from a SA cop!

You won't be supplied that sort of information at the station. You need to go through FOI - Freedom of information Section (or your state's equivalent) and it will probably cost a small fee...

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
but shouldn't they have to catch up with you in your own time? if i was a boss i'd tell the cop where to go and leave my employee alone and stop wasting my and his time at work.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
...if i was a boss i'd tell the cop where to go and leave my employee alone and stop wasting my and his time at work.

Oh yeah, that's REALLY gonna help your cause.

The cop will just get the sh!ts and throw the book at you both...

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Well when you're travelling interstate, you're always held to the conditions of your licence. That's why when I came to NSW on my L's and P's, I was travelling at 110km/h, when my counterparts were travelling at 80 or 90.

I have been told that Vic Pol can't write up NSW L or P platers for doing the speed limit in Vic, because they're not violating any Vic legislation by travelling at the Vic limit. Due to there not being any law in Vic about being speed restricted.

That leads me to my next point.

The interesting question would be about motorbikes. In Victoria, motorbike restrictions are based on cc's. You can't ride anything bigger than 260cc.

But NSW restrictions are based on Power to weight and an approved list of bikes.

If you were riding a powerful bike like an R1 (1000cc monster) with a Victorian licence, you're not breaching any NSW laws because you're not held to Power to weight. You're only breaking Vic laws, however there isn't any NSW legislation outlawing riding over 260cc.

Any idea what would happen? And to Viccop, is it true that you can't write up a NSW L or P plater for doing 110kmh in a 110 zone?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Well when you're travelling interstate, you're always held to the conditions of your licence. That's why when I came to NSW on my L's and P's, I was travelling at 110km/h, when my counterparts were travelling at 80 or 90.

I have been told that Vic Pol can't write up NSW L or P platers for doing the speed limit in Vic, because they're not violating any Vic legislation by travelling at the Vic limit. Due to there not being any law in Vic about being speed restricted.

I would think that you are restricted to the state or territory laws that you are driving in. So by what you're saying, before NT had speed restrictions put in place, anyone that held a NT drivers license could do whatever speed they wanted in any other state because speed restrictions didn't apply to them in their home state? And me, because I have a WA license, I can legally drive at 110 on NSW roads that have limits of 100 because our open road limit is 110?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I would think that you are restricted to the state or territory laws that you are driving in. So by what you're saying, before NT had speed restrictions put in place, anyone that held a NT drivers license could do whatever speed they wanted in any other state because speed restrictions didn't apply to them in their home state? And me, because I have a WA license, I can legally drive at 110 on NSW roads that have limits of 100 because our open road limit is 110?
Nope. You have to abide by the speed limit of the road, unless your licence states you're restricted to a certain speed.

So my Vic L or P's condition is that I drive at the posted limit. So I can do the limit wherever.

NSW L's are limited to 80km/h. So they can only do a maximum of 80, unless the posted limit is lower. So NSW L's can only do 80 on a road if it's a 110 zone. But they are still held to the posted limits if its lower.

Back in the day, an NT licence didn't mean you could ignore any speed limit in NT. Only on the unrestricted highways.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Your license may say that you can drive to the posted limit in Vic, but I think you may find that you still have to abide by the states restrictions on L or P plates. The L or the P would determine your conditions in the relevant state, not what is says on your license. I'm not saying this is actually the case, but that is how I would see it. I wouldn't think you can go by the laws and rules of your home state when driving in another.

And I know about the unrestricted speeds in NT. That was just an example.

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
i had a moron mate who lost his liscense for 6 month's(speeding drink driving unregistered car on p's) got it back for a week then lost it again drink driving a doing burnout's speeding etc in a mates dato 200b that he stole out of his mates backyard he wasnt acutally caught by the police but had 25 complaint's in 1 hour also running 2 car's off the road including a stionwagon with a mum and her 3 kid's in the back!!! this is what gives young driver's a bad name so you can lose your liscence from complaint's depend's how severe i think

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Any idea what would happen? And to Viccop, is it true that you can't write up a NSW L or P plater for doing 110kmh in a 110 zone?

No speed restrictions exist in Victoria for different types of licences/permits therefore no offence.