Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
Nope. You have to abide by the speed limit of the road, unless your licence states you're restricted to a certain speed.

So my Vic L or P's condition is that I drive at the posted limit. So I can do the limit wherever.

NSW L's are limited to 80km/h. So they can only do a maximum of 80, unless the posted limit is lower. So NSW L's can only do 80 on a road if it's a 110 zone. But they are still held to the posted limits if its lower.

Back in the day, an NT licence didn't mean you could ignore any speed limit in NT. Only on the unrestricted highways.

All learner drivers are restricted to 80KPH in NSW. Our legislation relates to a learner driver being any person who holds a learner's licence or permit issued by ANY state or territory!

P Platers is a different thing all together, however this only changed when we went to a graduated P licence system, ie P1's and P2's. This will change back again when this system is adopted Nationally and it is starting to happen already!

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
as i understand it, all legislation applies to the geographic region in which it is enforced. in other words, Victorian legislation has no authority to exempt someone from a NSW law.

i.e. in NSW, you must do as NSWelshmen do.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
See i was very confused when i went to NSW. I saw other P platers driving slower than me and thought hurry the hell up (110 freeway). Copper pulled me over and he was pretty nice, told me why they were being slow. I just showed him my Vic License and i was on my way. Although he was somewhat confused as to why i had a Victorian License, in a car registered in Queensland and im driving around Central Coast NSW.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
All learner drivers are restricted to 80KPH in NSW. Our legislation relates to a learner driver being any person who holds a learner's licence or permit issued by ANY state or territory!

P Platers is a different thing all together, however this only changed when we went to a graduated P licence system, ie P1's and P2's. This will change back again when this system is adopted Nationally and it is starting to happen already!

We'll be there July next year.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project

When I was on my learners I did a lot of driving in NSW + ACT. I had the big yellow L plates up and used to always travel 110kmh on the highways.

We got pulled over once, but there were no problems because the guy said I had a Vic Learner permit.

Maybe I just got lucky? So if that copper were to issue me with a TIN, would it be for 30kmh over the limit?

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
When I was on my learners I did a lot of driving in NSW + ACT. I had the big yellow L plates up and used to always travel 110kmh on the highways.

We got pulled over once, but there were no problems because the guy said I had a Vic Learner permit.

Maybe I just got lucky? So if that copper were to issue me with a TIN, would it be for 30kmh over the limit?

Well up here it would be for exceed speed over 15KPH, one more K and you'd be getting the over 30KPH. Either way you'd lose your licence.

And yeah, you met one of us nice cops... I am fairly lenient with interstate L platers, and I come across a lot of them due to patrolling NSW/VIC/SA border areas. If the driver seems genuinely surprised and so do their supervising drivers I let them go with a warning and ensure that they understand what the rules are in NSW. If you go from one state into another then it is best to check up on the rules that relate to you...

With regard to the 'when in rome, do as the romans do' type of comment that was made a few post back, well that's pretty right in most cases. However with regards to actual licences conditions especially in regards to speed limits, when you go into another state, you are only required to obey the posted speed limit. We can't enforce a speed limit imposed on you by the Authority of another state, UNLESS we have specific legislation in relation to that condition in our state also, for visiting drivers, such as in the case of the 80kph limit for learners...

Our legislation that for P1 and P2 licenses must travel at max 90 & 100 respectively, we have nothing that relates to just a P licence anymore.

This is why, and the only reason why, other states are getting away with traveling at 110 when on their P's here. If they had P1 & P2 class licenses they would find things a little different. You'll find as I said before that all states will be converting to this system soon enough...

bradrogers

PULL OVER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII "S"
I have a question in regards to in-car cameras...

I'm looking at getting a couple of these installed with cameras to suit:
2 Video Channel Portable Motion Detection DVR 128M/SD - eBay, Security Systems, Gadgets, Gizmos, Electronics. (end time 13-Jan-08 19:10:37 AEDST)

One camera in the front windscreen looking out (can be swivelled). One camera looking out the Back Windscreen.

Probably stating the obvious, but these are VERY helpful for seeing, and showing what happened at an incident/accident. I install these in buildings for a job, and have seen how handy DVR's are first hand.\

Now, to place one in a car, what is a cop's point of view on these??

Admittedly, I would have loved one of these systems installed in my last car, when I had an unmarked SS tailgate me on a double demerits weekend earlier this year. (I could see a strobe unit on their dash, among other equipment. Why would I want to speed up?).

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
I have a question in regards to in-car cameras...

I'm looking at getting a couple of these installed with cameras to suit:
2 Video Channel Portable Motion Detection DVR 128M/SD - eBay, Security Systems, Gadgets, Gizmos, Electronics. (end time 13-Jan-08 19:10:37 AEDST)

One camera in the front windscreen looking out (can be swivelled). One camera looking out the Back Windscreen.

Probably stating the obvious, but these are VERY helpful for seeing, and showing what happened at an incident/accident. I install these in buildings for a job, and have seen how handy DVR's are first hand.\

Now, to place one in a car, what is a cop's point of view on these??

Admittedly, I would have loved one of these systems installed in my last car, when I had an unmarked SS tailgate me on a double demerits weekend earlier this year. (I could see a strobe unit on their dash, among other equipment. Why would I want to speed up?).

By all means go ahead. Provided it doesn't hinder your operation of the car.

In Victoria we're slowly rolling out the ICV (In Car Video) that is doing the same thing. It's been put in for members' protection in case complaints are made against them and for other reasons such as evidence gathering.

So in fact, we're way ahead of you.

somerandom

Reaction score
just a question, in vic, are police officers in marked or unmarked cars, exempt from hoon laws?

could a cop get done for careless driving(or else) if he is driving to a scene and it goes through an intersection too fast and the wheels start to slide/skid/whateva ?

So I was at the campbell field K mart / Coles the other night and I hear cop sirens, 3 cars go through the intersection ok, the last one is thrashing the absolute **** out of his car, turns the intersection and as the wheels start sliding, he poweres on.. then flat footed it up the street again. Would that be deemed appropriate?

further more, is it common for cops to make their report (into your careless driving) sound worse then it actually was, in your court summons. For example:

I do a 180, but the cop says I did a 360 and fish tailed up the road.

bradrogers

PULL OVER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII "S"
By all means go ahead. Provided it doesn't hinder your operation of the car.

In Victoria we're slowly rolling out the ICV (In Car Video) that is doing the same thing. It's been put in for members' protection in case complaints are made against them and for other reasons such as evidence gathering.

So in fact, we're way ahead of you.

Fair enough, yeah it wouldn't hinder operation. The cameras are less conspicuous than an e-tag. The system pretty much operates with no user intervention (unless its for extracting footage).

I can imagine the police would be way ahead of civillians in terms of car CCTV :p.