Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Not in nsw they dont. Only have to state name, rank and station when using a power under lepra.

vzaccaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz acclaim
if i drive in NSW do i need to follow NSW p plate laws?
the reason i ask this is i drove all the way through NSW not realizing that P-platers are not allowed to exceed 90km/h....

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
if i drive in NSW do i need to follow NSW p plate laws?
the reason i ask this is i drove all the way through NSW not realizing that P-platers are not allowed to exceed 90km/h....

no, you follow your states licence restrictions. You obide by NSW road laws, but follow your states license restrictions, pretty much the same as driving in vic (assuming you have a vic licence)

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
I saw someone on Facespace post this one up

"Did you know! That if a copper books you (driving offences), and he is not wearing his hat, then you can contest the fine in court and you will be let off?"

Thoughts?

I've answered that one before on this forum. The legislation refers to a member of the police force as: "A member of the police force". As someone already pointed out, what about non-uniformed police? The legislation does not say, "A member of the police force, wearing a uniform, including his/her hat".

Urban legend.

More like complete utter bullsh*t for idiot drivers to try make up an excuse to get out of wearing a ticket and pretend they know more than the people enforcing the law.

The story goes...
A OHS officer was on his way home from work one week day, when a copper pulled him over at about 5pm
The copper walked up to the OHS officer's window of his car and said " sir do you know how fast you where going?" The OHS officer said the speed limit constable.
The cop then said "my radar gun reads 67km/h". The OHS guy then noticed the copper wasn't wearing his hi-vis vest. The copper then said "i'll be back in a minute with you're ticket sir", to the response of the OHS guy, "i hope you come back with a warning Constable".

The copper came back to the car window and issued a $130 fine. The OHS officer issued the copper a $1500 fine for not wearing his hi-vis vest when he exits his cop car.

B

I have heard that one also and this is why coppers are warned to ensure that they wear high-vis when appropriate. There is a way for us to get out of it but it involves us having to justify why we're not wearing it.

Realistically, that situation would then involve me performing a complete 'safety' inspection of that persons car, if you know what I mean.

Police have to give their name and badge number when requested.

Incorrect, name, rank and place of station. Badges don't have numbers on them. You can be talking about my registered number but that's none of anyones business, it's an internal administrative identification thing only.

no, you follow your states licence restrictions. You obide by NSW road laws, but follow your states license restrictions, pretty much the same as driving in vic (assuming you have a vic licence)

Correct.

VRCALAISS

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR CALAIS 3.8L V6
Incorrect, name, rank and place of station. Badges don't have numbers on them. You can be talking about my registered number but that's none of anyones business, it's an internal administrative identification thing only.

Correct.

rules are different in qld

Police have advised that people do have the right to ask to view an officer’s identification which should be carried by all on duty police officers whether they are in uniform or plain clothes.

The identification is a metal Queensland Police Service badge and an ID card with the officer’s name, registered number and photograph.

somerandom

Reaction score
last i checked vicpol dont have a number on the badge, just a black flip pouch that has identification separate to the badge

A friend was weaving in and out of traffic, after a while noticed a car following him, and was afraid that he may have pissed someone off, so he tries to keep a distance from the car following him, but there's no chance, the car following him would have ate him for breakfast.

The friend got pulled up by(along side - not actually pulled OVER) by someone in plain clothes stating he is from the CIB(Criminal Investigation Bureau) all he had was an LED on the back of a gps unit at the centre of his windscreen.. and maybe an LED on the back window somewhere... but you would never know until you've been pulled over!

the friend was speeding 130ish in 100 zone, than 110-120 in an 80 zone, the guy in the CIB car was actually speeding with the friend weaving in and out of traffic like race cars! lol, cib pulled along side him and said "I did exactly what you're doing right now, when I was younger, so I know what it's like to be in your seat. in future just take it easy in the 80KM/h zones" - or something to that affect

and that was that, no questions asked, no checks etc,(the friend didn't have number plates on, just a permit on the windscreen)

^^ thats the version i've been told

who is in the wrong?

As I don't know anything about CIB, what exact power do they have over traffic matters? are they above the 'general' duty traffic police, or below? most importantly, are they authorized to intervene in traffic matters?

Last edited:

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
last i checked vicpol dont have a number on the badge, just a black flip pouch that has identification separate to the badge

A friend was weaving in and out of traffic, after a while noticed a car following him, and was afraid that he may have pissed someone off, so he tries to keep a distance from the car following him, but there's no chance, the car following him would have ate him for breakfast.

The friend got pulled up by(along side - not actually pulled OVER) by someone in plain clothes stating he is from the CIB(Criminal Investigation Bureau) all he had was an LED on the back of a gps unit at the centre of his windscreen.. and maybe an LED on the back window somewhere... but you would never know until you've been pulled over!

the friend was speeding 130ish in 100 zone, than 110-120 in an 80 zone, the guy in the CIB car was actually speeding with the friend weaving in and out of traffic like race cars! lol, cib pulled along side him and said "I did exactly what you're doing right now, when I was younger, so I know what it's like to be in your seat. in future just take it easy in the 80KM/h zones" - or something to that affect

and that was that, no questions asked, no checks etc,(the friend didn't have number plates on, just a permit on the windscreen)

^^ thats the version i've been told

who is in the wrong?

As I don't know anything about CIB, what exact power do they have over traffic matters? are they above the 'general' duty traffic police, or below? most importantly, are they authorized to intervene in traffic matters?

Your mates in the wrong for driving like a tool.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
What happens to the old divvy vans when they stop useing them?

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
who is in the wrong?

Do you think Officers who partake in high speed chases or speed to catch up to someone in traffic get in trouble? Answer that and you have answered your question.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Who cares, nothing came of it. Your 'mate' is a ########. How can you ask 'who is in the wrong?' you mate was speeding therefor in the wrong, What the CIB officer was doing does not matter.