Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
helly. sorry about my opening sentence, but i dont do anythin illegal (alot of good reason why too, but thats only if u wanna question them). you said i left alot of things out of the stories, tell the truth champ, i summed it up to all the serious bits. i have nuthn against cops, except when they think they dont bleed. i think its more got to do with wrong place wrong time.

my questions were is chirping gears (not speedin, not doing anythin stupid like burnouts in a busy street) a form of reckless driving?. are walkie talkies illegal for normal everyday Joe's?. and last, can a cop fine sumone for sumthin they cant prove or didnt do?.

Thanks...the

Sorry I thought you were just having a whinge... If this comes cross the wrong way, I'll appologise now, as I had the worst night last night...

One thing I hate about working in a small town is that you know everyone. And last night I had the unfortunate experience of having to do a suicide job with a young kid (from my touch footy team). So I'm not in the best of moods, contrary to popular opinion we are human... Its a much easier thing to do when you don't know the faces!

Anyway, Jecs... Walkie talkies (I guess you are talking about the hand held one, and all in one unit) are not specifically an offence, but can be covered under a number of offences such as, not maintain proper control of vehicle and the like, careless driving depending on your states legislation.

There is abig difference between a hand held portable radio or walkie-talkie and a fixed UHF radio which is fitted to your vehicle. When I did my driver training, some years ago, it was actually a requirement that we drove a pursuit, whilst calling our street locations and speed, and genrally having a conversation with the radio operator. You have to use pull-push steering so your hands don't overlap and you don't get caught up in the cord, blah blah... Its not easy...

Then we did it as a non official test, with handheld portable's and mobile phones (this is on a closed curcuit, which we had been driving on for a week and new every inch of BTW) and I tell you it was damned near impossible to maintain the coirrect lines and drive safely. And it wasn't just me, almost every single person had major drama's with this. There are a lot of reason's why mobile phone cuase drama's, anything you have to hold to your ear, or that has a screen on it, whether or not it is a phone or just a littl channel numer screen, can put you off balance. Mobile phones, cause you to tilt your head to the side ever so slightly, its a natural reaction, and this puts off your balance significantly. Anyway, its not a safe practice to get into.

Next, chirping tyres (how do you chirp a gear?) may very well consitute reckless/careless driving.

If you are on a normal peice of roadway, which has a good surface, why would you chirp your tyres unless you were either intentionally doing it, or just being careless or reckless. For me personally its something I would have to be witness to to say whether or not I would take action. But if your mate doesn't know how to drive, then of course he's gunna attract some attention.

And finally how do you know what a COP can or cannot prove in any situation. A police officers job is not to prove actually anything. That's up to the courts... We just Accuse, gather what evidence we have and if WE think its enough we run with it and see how it goes! There are plenty of times that police put matters before the court and matters get dropped becuase a witness doesn't turn up or they decide they still 'love him' and don't want him to go to jail, so they lie... Then if this happens does it mean that it didn't happen? Or does it mean, that it just wasn't proven beyond reasonable doubt, or upon the balance of probabilities, depending on what sort of matter we are talking about...

Its one of the main reasons why we now have in car video systems, not guilties have dropped to an all time low. A lot of cops have never shown an ICV file in court. They usually just show the Accused person outside the court on a lap top, and funnily enough, the plea all of a sudden changes...

Anyway, that's my rant over, I feel better, took my mind off last night for about 15 minutes, ta...

OH!

BY THE WAY, I DON'T BLEED... :thumbsup:

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
A good mate had a VN Calais V8 with a very stiff shift kit- chirped every time it changed into second. I was very surprised because it chirped when accellerating to 40 on a surburban road, dry smooth surface not turning. Not always driver's input.

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
A good mate had a VN Calais V8 with a very stiff shift kit- chirped every time it changed into second. I was very surprised because it chirped when accellerating to 40 on a surburban road, dry smooth surface not turning. Not always driver's input.

Exactly... Then its a defect!

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
umm..... can you elaborate on that?

somerandom

Reaction score
well my 2 bro's, and bro's gf + old man and his gf and few other people.. we went to inspect 3 houses that we booked to have a look at, so we generally took 3 cars for inspecting, anyways, my old mans g/f was leading, than my old man behind her.. and my bro behind the old man.. and me last (sorry sounds confusing hahaha)

anyway, my bro had stockies on cause we went to calder the night before, and he didn't change them to proper wheels.. anyway, this cop cuts in front of me, tailgates my bro... pulls him over (so all 4 of us pulled over) and just had a chat with the officers etc...

and told me i was driving dangerously close to my bro... -- mm i was like one and a half car lengths from him in a 60 zone.. i don't see how it was dangerous

in the end he didn't do my bro on anything, just picked him out of the group cause of stockies(which still had tread)

soo i wanna know where this cop gets off(he was a great cop, but you know)

1.) accused me for driving close to my bro (contrary to popular facts, i was driving with plenty of room in front)
2.) he cuts in front of me, never uses his indicators and tailgates my bro.. i was like WTF!

so i wanna know how come its ok for officers to drive in a dangerous manner, and i get accused for driving to close... maybe he needs more training lol

was a great cop he had a sense of humour and all that, so i'm not bagging him i just wanna know how come cops can accuse you for something they do -even worse?? :S

and i want to know, cops do they need to have their lights on to justify speeding 100+kmph in a 50 zone with no lights?

this cop car , it was marked one and all, looked like he had another guy in the passenger seat, comes flying around my corner, guns it and i swear this car flew i couldn't believe how fast he got it to ... i could manage 80kmph befor my driveway(not saying i've done that!!) but he was screaming past fast estimate probably 100kmph+ & no sirens or lights etc on... court house not far from my house either , and that day the court-house was open and 6 other officers outside court.. so i wonder if the copper got in trouble lol.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I'm no copper but 1 1/2 car lengths between u and your bro @ 60kms certainly is dangerous, should keep around 3 secs between u and the car you're following, and more in impaired conditions :thumbsup:

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
2. me and my mates all use walkie talkies while drivin'. it helps discuss things like where we ar going, or where cops ar, or things from hot bird to hot cars that we see while drivin'. but i got pulled over for a breath'o test and i had the talkie restin on my leg. she started to say how its illegal to use any hand held devices while drivin' but i see the cops use them while driving, i also see truckies use them. fair enuff phones shuld be illegal but walkies have a loud speaker, all u have to do is hold the button and talk.

Police and Emergency vehicle drivers are exempt from the law that prohibits the use of a mobile transceiver (including mobile phones) whilst in control of a motor vehicle. Technically Truckies etc aren't exempt however there is a big logistical problem pulling all the truckies and cabs off the road!

There is a big enough problem of unfortunates using radios to avoid being caught for, shall we say 'hoon' behaviour, particularly on major freeways around Melbourne- the idea is not to look like a sh** magnet.

You are still pushing a button and talking on a device and not in complete control of you vehicle

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
wat if its got voice activated transmitter? :p

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Vox or not if it's in your hand you're in trouble.

Otherwise it's no different to ahands free phone setup.