Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the EX-Holden Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
the VIN should be 6H8VSK19USL814779
originally sold by Alan Mance in Footscray
its a Genesis Mica V8 BT1 manual sedan with Blue interior
manual A/C, ABS, IRS, 3.08 LSD, drivers Air Bag, FE2.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob. I was tryin to find out if it a genuine clubsport or a mock up. I knew it was a bt1 it also has p/car on the compliance plate for model and my vs bt1 didnt.
Cheers Shane

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
G'day Mr Tech! i recently had my vy supercharged Calais in to replace the intake manifold gasket under warranty and now it won't idle very well when it is cold, the revs go from around 500 to 2000 then it cuts out. this happens for about 1 minute then it eventually runs without stalling but still a bit rough. it is going back in on friday to hpefully get fixed but was wondering if you know what it might be before they spin me a story? cheers Huw

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
Recalibrating speed after diff ratio change

Hey Rob,

You might know the answer to this...

I've been doing some research and finding myself going around in circles! I'm finally getting around to changing the diff ratio in the VR (auto as you know) from 3.08 to 3.45.

Now, I know that the auto bases it shift changes on road speed and with the new ratio it will be changing gears later (it's already a little too late with the hi-stall). So, I get the Jaycar box, but do I wire it in between the PCM and dash, so that the dash has the right reading but the ecu still works from the inflated values coming from the speed sensor and therefore shifts normally, or is the best way to put it beween the speed sensor and the PCM and get the shift points remapped via kalmaker? (still don't actually have kalmaker yet - that's another story!) Doing it the first way, are other functions affected (lockup etc?) - or doing it the 2nd way, calibrate speedo first and then alter shift points?

ANY advice would be appreciated - I'm alone on this one, the boy is not good with anything electronic. ;) ... still to figure out which wire is which!

Cheers

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
G'day Mr Tech! i recently had my vy supercharged Calais in to replace the intake manifold gasket under warranty and now it won't idle very well when it is cold, the revs go from around 500 to 2000 then it cuts out. this happens for about 1 minute then it eventually runs without stalling but still a bit rough. it is going back in on friday to hpefully get fixed but was wondering if you know what it might be before they spin me a story? cheers Huw

not sure Huw, cant say ive seen this before, let me know what they say.

Rob

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hey Rob,

You might know the answer to this...

I've been doing some research and finding myself going around in circles! I'm finally getting around to changing the diff ratio in the VR (auto as you know) from 3.08 to 3.45.

Now, I know that the auto bases it shift changes on road speed and with the new ratio it will be changing gears later (it's already a little too late with the hi-stall). So, I get the Jaycar box, but do I wire it in between the PCM and dash, so that the dash has the right reading but the ecu still works from the inflated values coming from the speed sensor and therefore shifts normally, or is the best way to put it beween the speed sensor and the PCM and get the shift points remapped via kalmaker? (still don't actually have kalmaker yet - that's another story!) Doing it the first way, are other functions affected (lockup etc?) - or doing it the 2nd way, calibrate speedo first and then alter shift points?

ANY advice would be appreciated - I'm alone on this one, the boy is not good with anything electronic. ;) ... still to figure out which wire is which!

Cheers

Hi Janine, you need to put the corrector box in the circuit between the VSS & both the dash & the PCM, this will correct all the readings.
then when you get Kal you can adjust the shiftpoints to suit yourself.

p.s. get craig to do a basic electronics course.lol
Rob

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
Hi Janine, you need to put the corrector box in the circuit between the VSS & both the dash & the PCM, this will correct all the readings.
then when you get Kal you can adjust the shiftpoints to suit yourself.

p.s. get craig to do a basic electronics course.lol
Rob

Cheers for that. I've also found someone locally who has also done the kit on an auto (albeit with a manual conversion) so they've told me how to adjust it etc.

Basic electronics course?? :whistling Can't be too hard on him - he does most of the other stuff...it just takes awile!

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
I will not answer or reply to stupid complaints.
I will answer to the best of my ability anything sensible.

Rob

rob i think ive done atleast one maybe two coil packs on my ls1 whats the best way to test to see how many i hav fried at 180 dollars each to replace i didnt want to buy 4 new ones if i dont hav to

cheers
thrifty

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
rob i think ive done atleast one maybe two coil packs on my ls1 whats the best way to test to see how many i hav fried at 180 dollars each to replace i didnt want to buy 4 new ones if i dont hav to

cheers
thrifty

if the coil has an electrical issue a diagnostic check should point to it, if not
its probably easiest to isolate a known good coil & swap it to the misfiring cylinder/s & see which one/s are not firing.
Rob

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
theres no check engine light up but it has a maff less tune so it would hav been turned off im not sure if any local shops hav a tech2 check the fault with definatly droped one or two cylinders runs like **** i let it run for a while to day and was checking wich primary exhaurst pipe was geting hot but they all were fairly cool compared to the other side i was hoping i could check them with a mutilmeter but i still wouldnt no what i would be checking for might just hav to let it idol for longer. just wondering if the coils on the l98 are the same as the ones they use on the earlyer gen3 if so i could use one off my ve

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
theres no check engine light up but it has a maff less tune so it would hav been turned off im not sure if any local shops hav a tech2 check the fault with definatly droped one or two cylinders runs like **** i let it run for a while to day and was checking wich primary exhaurst pipe was geting hot but they all were fairly cool compared to the other side i was hoping i could check them with a mutilmeter but i still wouldnt no what i would be checking for might just hav to let it idol for longer. just wondering if the coils on the l98 are the same as the ones they use on the earlyer gen3 if so i could use one off my ve

the tune shouldnt have turned off the light for everything! only the MAF, if it has go somewhere else!
let it run for a few minutes & spray water on the exhaust just near the head, the cooler ones are the ones misfiring.
swap a coil from a working cylinder to see if its the coil.
not sure if the coils are the same, will check the part numbers today.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.