Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the EX-Holden Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
ok mate il check that again today
cheers
thrifty

gffgrc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Monaro 5.7
5.7 fuel economy

I bought a Monaro 2004 model in mid 2006 (at 2 yo with 60K on clock). For the first year or more it would get down to 10l/100k on the gauge on the highway sitting on anything from 105 - 120kph on the cruise control. Over the past year it seems that the consumption has increased whereas now the best I can get on the same roads/speeds is 14l/100k. I have run injector cleaner through on about 6 tanks but no difference. I am using the same fuel. Been serviced regularly & air cleaner element is clean. It now has 106K on the clock. It goes just fine but why the fuel consumption increase? Thanks, gffgrc

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
I bought a Monaro 2004 model in mid 2006 (at 2 yo with 60K on clock). For the first year or more it would get down to 10l/100k on the gauge on the highway sitting on anything from 105 - 120kph on the cruise control. Over the past year it seems that the consumption has increased whereas now the best I can get on the same roads/speeds is 14l/100k. I have run injector cleaner through on about 6 tanks but no difference. I am using the same fuel. Been serviced regularly & air cleaner element is clean. It now has 106K on the clock. It goes just fine but why the fuel consumption increase? Thanks, gffgrc

possibly the fuel quality itself has dropped, maybe different tyres with a higher rolling resistance?

andrew05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Belina
VX HYDRAULIC RADIUS DAMPERS

hi rob - my VX (year 2001 - 120000ks) is starting to get a little uncertain on undulating roads at 100'ks , and I'd like to get it feeling tight again, I've eliminated the obvious, new tyres, wheel alignment, and i'm wondering what to look at next.

All the bushes are tight, sway link bushes are tight, struts are good, and I'm wondering if the hydraulic dampers on the radius get softer with age. They haven't leaked, they look dry and sound, but would they be due for replacement with aftermarket stuff around this age, or am I wasting my money looking in this direction if they still LOOK servicable???

Also looking at the manual seems to imply I can remove these front bushes without the pain of removing the radius arm - is this practical, or should I count on removing the arm.

Thanks in advance
ANDREW

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
VX HYDRAULIC RADIUS DAMPERS

hi rob - my VX (year 2001 - 120000ks) is starting to get a little uncertain on undulating roads at 100'ks , and I'd like to get it feeling tight again, I've eliminated the obvious, new tyres, wheel alignment, and i'm wondering what to look at next.

All the bushes are tight, sway link bushes are tight, struts are good, and I'm wondering if the hydraulic dampers on the radius get softer with age. They haven't leaked, they look dry and sound, but would they be due for replacement with aftermarket stuff around this age, or am I wasting my money looking in this direction if they still LOOK servicable???

Also looking at the manual seems to imply I can remove these front bushes without the pain of removing the radius arm - is this practical, or should I count on removing the arm.

Thanks in advance
ANDREW

you can change the bushes without removing the arms yes.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
hi bob, the memcal in my vs is a bstk 1451 which on your website says it caused hesitations when cold and pinging, which my car does,

should holden replace these for free or would i have to pay for it?

can you shed some light on this for me please,
thanks,
Andrew

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
hi bob, the memcal in my vs is a bstk 1451 which on your website says it caused hesitations when cold and pinging, which my car does,

should holden replace these for free or would i have to pay for it?

can you shed some light on this for me please,
thanks,
Andrew

the car is well out of warranty now so you will have to pay retail for it unfortunately

Cobra30

Reaction score
Website
www.cobra30.com
Members Ride
VY V6 S2 Crewman
VY Speedo calibration - PPK ?

Hi Doctor Bob,

I've replaced the 15" wheels on my VY, V6 Crewman with 17" wheels. They are fitted with 225/55/17's as per the SS ute.
I've calculated that the speedo will be out by 3%.
My car went to Holden today for minor warranty work and they said that they can't calibrate the speedo because they don't have a PPK for that size tyre........... Does that sound correct ? I chose an original fitment size tyre to avoid this issue.

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 139

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi Doctor Bob,

I've replaced the 15" wheels on my VY, V6 Crewman with 17" wheels. They are fitted with 225/55/17's as per the SS ute.
I've calculated that the speedo will be out by 3%.
My car went to Holden today for minor warranty work and they said that they can't calibrate the speedo because they don't have a PPK for that size tyre........... Does that sound correct ? I chose an original fitment size tyre to avoid this issue.

according to the service info the correct PPK for these is 5938
tell them to look it up under VYII Crew Cab.

Rob

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
hey Dr Bob,
i have a 3.8 manual and one of the header tanks on the radiator is cracking so i'm looking to put a replacement on.
i get that series 2 vn ones will fit and also that i can also apparently use a v8 one which has extra rows.
my question is, which v8 (and even v6) radiators will fit using the existing shroud?

Status
Not open for further replies.