Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Mac Techie

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey, I just wanted to ask, I have a MacBook, it's a 13.3" and a 2007 model. Is it possible to replace the screen on it? I noticed the other day that there is a crack towards the middle from top to bottom, and it's the actual LCD part itself.

If it is fixable, would it be worth it or should I just save up and get a new one instead.

Thanks.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey Mate.

Yes it is possible to remove and replace the LCD on the macbook. If you have a good set of small screw drivers, and a flat blade plastic tool, you could do it. its quite a long job to do. As it require to remove the whole assembly from the computer first. So pretty much the whole machine has to be dissembled.
A New LCD - http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=195
So Its 189$ for a new LCD, plus fitting if you can do it your self. Or Just put that money towards a new MacBook Pro. Since its a 2007 Modal its now going on 4-5 years old now.
If you wanted to buy a OEM Apple LCD they are about 700$ :hmmm:
And no there is not short cut way to do this either due to the inverter cables that run into the bottom of the LCD housing.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey Mate.

Yes it is possible to remove and replace the LCD on the macbook. If you have a good set of small screw drivers, and a flat blade plastic tool, you could do it. its quite a long job to do. As it require to remove the whole assembly from the computer first. So pretty much the whole machine has to be dissembled.
A New LCD - http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=195
So Its 189$ for a new LCD, plus fitting if you can do it your self. Or Just put that money towards a new MacBook Pro. Since its a 2007 Modal its now going on 4-5 years old now.
If you wanted to buy a OEM Apple LCD they are about 700$ :hmmm:
And no there is not short cut way to do this either due to the inverter cables that run into the bottom of the LCD housing.

Hey mate,

Thanks very much for the fast reply. I do have a screwdriver set that I should be able to use to pull it apart, but like you said, it is getting old now and it hasn't got the best hardware (like it only has a 80GB HDD, 1 GB Ram, 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo), so I might save up and just get a new MacBook Pro. Plus for some reason it wont let me update it anymore, gets half way and just freezes.

Thanks for that link, and thanks for your help as well :)

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
Hey..

I want to reset my macbook pro. I bought it second hand and it still has the previous owners name all over the files etc and i want to change it to mine… I want to get stuff from app store etc but cant because its all in the previous owners name..

:(

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hi Mate.

Sorry the extream delay, Been working 60 hours a week at the moment.

You Really need to to have the OS Reinstall DVDs. Did you get them when you bought the machine ? They will be grey. You need these to wipe and reinstall the OS, This will wipe everything on the drive.
If you dont, You can just create a new User in system preferences, create a New admin account, then once logged in, delete the old user in user system perferences. This will only delete the user data and not applications or files on the root directory.

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Mate.

Sorry the extream delay, Been working 60 hours a week at the moment.

You Really need to to have the OS Reinstall DVDs. Did you get them when you bought the machine ? They will be grey. You need these to wipe and reinstall the OS, This will wipe everything on the drive.
If you dont, You can just create a new User in system preferences, create a New admin account, then once logged in, delete the old user in user system perferences. This will only delete the user data and not applications or files on the root directory.

No worries mate.. Yes i got 2 DVDs when i bought it. one says mac OS X install dvd and down the bottom says mac OS version 10.6.3.. And another dvd applications install..?? Im guessing its the OS X install dvd??

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Yep, that sounds like them. The Mac OS X Install DVD has the OS, the Applications Install DVD has iLife, and whatever else originally shipped with the machine (a demo of Office, and maybe a couple of other things) Boot off the Mac OS X Install DVD and do an Erase and Install. Then put the Applications disc in and install the apps, and you should be good to go.

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, that sounds like them. The Mac OS X Install DVD has the OS, the Applications Install DVD has iLife, and whatever else originally shipped with the machine (a demo of Office, and maybe a couple of other things) Boot off the Mac OS X Install DVD and do an Erase and Install. Then put the Applications disc in and install the apps, and you should be good to go.

Do i need to do a erase first before putting the CD in or do i put the OS CD in and then do a erase and install at once?

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride