Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Speedometer repair guy..........

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
ok what are each of the pins on the rear trip computer plug for... im talking about the ones that plug into the clusters flexable pcb?? for a vn commodore

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
If you messure the overall diameter of the 14" tyre and compare it to the diameter of the 18" tyre, you will find that they are very similar, it's possible that it will be out, but it won't be by much.
Tom

ucwepn said:
Hey I put 18's on my vl with 40 profile tyres, it came standard with 14's and 70 or 75 profiles. Could you tell me if you know if my speedo is out now and if it would be reading faster or slower? It seems to be fairly accurate which I thought was strange.

V

VS_chick

hey there

with my speedometer the little neddle thing gets stuck, i just have to tap the cover and then it goes up to what speed i am doing,but is there anyway to fix it so it will work properly

cheers
amy

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
I would start with the driven gear and the speed sensor, check it out to see if it's worn. Also check the wiring especially near the firewall.

If that doesn't fix it try replacing the speed sensor.

If it's still playing up the speedo may need some attention.

Tom

shounak said:
On my mate El, the speedo keeps flickering.. Like it's very very wobbly, it'll tell u an accurate speed but just wobbles..

What causes this and how can it be rectified?

Cheers..

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
VS_chick said:
hey there

with my speedometer the little neddle thing gets stuck, i just have to tap the cover and then it goes up to what speed i am doing,but is there anyway to fix it so it will work properly

cheers
amy

Are you using a custom guage face by any chance, if you are there is a possibility the background has warped (mine did) and is stopping the needle from moving. Mine warped near the temp guage stopping that from working.

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
I can supply any parts you need.
Tom

greengopher said:
lol you should defect yourself on that :whistling

why not fix it yourself
ive done it on a VP & its easy as
theres a little cog that turns the numbers that breaks.
i think i saw on here somewhere that somebody is able to get the cogs

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
Do you mean all the pins (which are labelled on the cluster) or the ones that go into the back of the speedometer and voltage regulator.
Tom

HDT_aero said:
ok what are each of the pins on the rear trip computer plug for... im talking about the ones that plug into the clusters flexable pcb?? for a vn commodore

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
G'day amy,
Yes it can be repaired but the speedometer movement will have to be pulled apart. Inside there is a tiny well filled with dampning fluid, after a while the fluid crystalizes and goes hard. We remove the old dampning fluid and replace with some new improved fluid.
Tom

VS_chick said:
hey there

cheers
amy