Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the Speedometer repair guy..........

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
VX Display missing figures

Hairy Eater said:
Tom... my VX kilometer reading on the dash most times has parts of the numbers missing... if i press in on the dash then all the numbers will show.... sometimes it will all show untill i start the car again.... any ideas what causes this and how to fix it ?

It sounds like the display is seperating from the printed circuit board.

The only way to fix it is to pull the cluster out and have the display realigned to the printed circuit board.

Cheers
Tom

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
vh sl/x said:
hey tom

i have a 1978 leyland mini and the speedo is 10 kmh out. is it easy to fix and what price should i be looking at?

cheers
rohan

Yes it's easy to recalibrate, most mini speedo's have the factory calibration stamped on the dial.

This would cost about $30 - $40.

Cheers
Tom

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
vsmad said:
My VT's fuel gauge is wrong. It doesn't reach the top even when the tank is full, and it will sit at half way when it's empty or even sit near empty when it's only half empty. How do I fix this?

Most likely the problem will be in the tankunit, the tank has to be dropped to remove it.

I can repair all tankunits, this will cost about $70 - $80 or you can buy a new resistance and float from Holden for about $90 but they only suit series 1 VT Commodores.

To remove the tankunit could cost about $60 - $80.

You can also get the gauge check from your Holden dealer, they plug the Tech 2 tool in and are able to move the gauge through its scale.

Cheers
Tom

gally

Reaction score
Tom I have shoe horned a VP V6 and Auto into a L300 4x4. as the autos extention housing had to be removed to take the transfer case i have no speed signal for the computer as yet.

What i need to solve the problem is the type of signal that is being sent to the computer. ie voltage and number of pulses per Km

any help would be very welcomed

Cheers Gally

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
speedo pickup?

Hey tom, looks like this thread is going well for you, no shortage of questions lol! Anyways, since i got my car last july, the speedo has been out by about +5%. I'm putting it down to the 16's that its running on, which are aftermarket customs, i.e. not factory. But whats got me confused is my digital speedo (in the speed alert module) seems to be accurate! Are there different pickups for the digital speedo compared to the analogue? Because thats the way it seems - and that the digital speedo pickup is not affected by the different wheel size.

While I'm here i'll throw another one your way. In the VN/VP forums, it has been shown to help alleviate the problem of the sticky fuel gauge by either bashing it or re-soldering the dry joints that are causing the problem in the first place. Could this re-soldering option work for my VS also?

Thanks alot mate :thumbsup:

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
g'day Tom, good work on answering all the questions mate!

VP Calais Lvl3 cluster. my average fuel reading never equals my actual fuel reading. eg. average fuel is 9.0L, but i only get 550km out of 63L tank (therefore average fuel is approx. 10.5L)

Also, fuel used reading never equals full amount (eg. when i set to 0 at full tank, once tank is empty (63L) the fuel used reading is usually about 51-55L)

Can you help on these ones mate?

Thanks

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
In my VS the speedo is very inconsistant, for eg, sometimes at 100, the digital speedo will say im doing 95 but sometimes it will say 105. When going through speed-checks the digital one is always spot on.
Why would this be?

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Tom,

Just got a VP Berlina. Took my parents out for a drive, and they commented that it felt faster than their cars.

Speedo is saying 80, but they say it is faster than that. So I slow down to 70 on the speedo, and they say that it feels about right for 80.

Is this meant to happen? How can I get it recalibrated? Whereabouts in Melbourne would you recommend that I get this done?

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
speedo signal

Tom I have shoe horned a VP V6 and Auto into a L300 4x4. as the autos extention housing had to be removed to take the transfer case i have no speed signal for the computer as yet.

What i need to solve the problem is the type of signal that is being sent to the computer. ie voltage and number of pulses per Km

any help would be very welcomed

Cheers Gally

What you need is a 2pulse hall effect inline sensor.

When the sensor is connected to the gearbox the inline part allows you to connect your speedo cable to the sensor so you can still run your speedo.

The 2 pulse, hall effect part is the same output pulse you get from the speedo to the computer in any commodore.

When you connect the 2 pulse hall effect signal you will run it directly from the sensor to the computer.

Sensors $121.00
Postage $4.50

Total $125.50

You can pay by EFT (063502, 10527070) or paypal ([email protected])

After you have paid send me your address.

Cheers Tom Taranto

speedotom

Auto Instrument Repairer
Reaction score
Website
www.clubmud.com.au
Members Ride
2003 V2 CV8-R MONARO
Hey tom, looks like this thread is going well for you, no shortage of questions lol! Anyways, since i got my car last july, the speedo has been out by about +5%. I'm putting it down to the 16's that its running on, which are aftermarket customs, i.e. not factory. But whats got me confused is my digital speedo (in the speed alert module) seems to be accurate! Are there different pickups for the digital speedo compared to the analogue? Because thats the way it seems - and that the digital speedo pickup is not affected by the different wheel size.

While I'm here i'll throw another one your way. In the VN/VP forums, it has been shown to help alleviate the problem of the sticky fuel gauge by either bashing it or re-soldering the dry joints that are causing the problem in the first place. Could this re-soldering option work for my VS also?

Thanks alot mate :thumbsup:

If you put your stock rims back on then your speedo will probably be right and the digital one will be out. They get their reading from the same source but they were never the same, if I had to choose which one is more accurate I would pick the digital.

The VN right through to the VS had the same insides of the speedo cluster, so what works for one would work for the other.

Cheers Tom