Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Hey,

I’m looking for some advice concerning a small dysfunction isolated in the automated headlight function of the car

I have a 2015 VF SS Commodore Sedan. It’s completely stock, in terms of electrics, for informations sake.

Essentially the headlights are auto-activating even when passing through just a short, mildly shady section of road during the day (though activating appropriately at night), and remaining on full a majority of (if not the full trip), but function fine in activation at dusk/night.

My main issue though has been that I have to manually switch them off whenever this occurs, as it has run the battery flat when it was stored in a garage for a week or two (forgot to check as I locked up).

I’m not referring to daylight runners, which work fine, as do high beams. I’ve also had it checked three times at Jarvis and Holden’s who couldn’t get the same fault to trigger (apparently), and it didn’t leave a fault code (asits recorded as an appropriate activation), plus it can be sporadic.

Only thing I have heard is that the dash-mat may be just slightly interfering with the sensor, though I don’t know how reliable this is.

Although it’s not a huge issue, it is an annoying one, and most of all I’d like to know if it’s indicative of anything else that may go wrong (fingers crossed ).

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'm confused you say the DRL's work fine, yet the DRL's only come on when the headlamps de-activate.

I have a 2015 and yes the headlamps will come on through even a short "tunnel" or bridge or whatever but will de-activate again after a short period, they are a pinch more sensitive than some cars but less than others.

I think dash mats suck so I don't have one so can't comment on that.

Headlamps on when driving will not run your battery flat, the battery in an electrical system essentially just completes the circuit (once the vehicle starts) while the car is on and you can run your lights the entire time the car is on if you choose. Your battery or charging system may be at fault.

If you store your car for extended periods and then only do a couple of short trips here and there you may require a charger.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
My main issue though has been that I have to manually switch them off whenever this occurs, as it has run the battery flat when it was stored in a garage for a week or two (forgot to check as I locked up).

they are on when the vehicle is switched off stored in a garage?

they should not be on when you switch off the vehicle but the will be on if you leave the ignition on.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I'm confused you say the DRL's work fine, yet the DRL's only come on when the headlamps de-activate.

There is a specific customisation within the VF BCM that allows DRL to be run concurrently with headlights. This has been discussed on FB in several places, but the legality of doing so is why techs won't kowtow to enthusiasts who want all their lights aglow at once.

Headlights will remain on after igntion is off and driver has exited for a specific time, adjustable in the menu heirarchy. For my VF, the headlights remain on for 15 seconds only then turn off. Others, like my brother's GOLF, have their headlights on after exiting for a full minute (!). Headlights can also be programmed to flash but not unlock the car as a method of locating the car in dark places; I've used this feature in IKEA's infamously dark and congested carpark.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Only thing I have heard is that the dash-mat may be just slightly interfering with the sensor, though I don’t know how reliable this is.

Yes, possibly. But I would advise keeping the dashmat. You probably haven't done the long-haul from Adelaide to Darwin or Darwin-Alice Springs in blistering heat and sun where dashboards can bubble, crack, and discolour — yes, that also applies to the VF!! Discolouration is common, along with cracking along the leading (base of windscreen) edge. A dashmat also cuts down on gassing of the lower windscreen and especially, cuts out annoying glare.

That said and aside, the aperture of the dashmat through which the auto-sensor only need to stick up a small amount to impede the 'view' of the autosensor. For that you need to remove the dashmat and using a scalpel carefully enlarge the obstructing edge, then put it in place and try again.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
There is a specific customisation within the VF BCM that allows DRL to be run concurrently with headlights. This has been discussed on FB in several places, but the legality of doing so is why techs won't kowtow to enthusiasts who want all their lights aglow at once.

Headlights will remain on after igntion is off and driver has exited for a specific time, adjustable in the menu heirarchy. For my VF, the headlights remain on for 15 seconds only then turn off. Others, like my brother's GOLF, have their headlights on after exiting for a full minute (!). Headlights can also be programmed to flash but not unlock the car as a method of locating the car in dark places; I've used this feature in IKEA's infamously dark and congested carpark.

i am actually aware of that but the OP did not state he has done that modification.

i upped the time my headlamps stay on via the mylink (I think to a minute), a minute of headlamps on will not flatten your battery unless it is in poor condition or not charging correctly in the first place.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i upped the time my headlamps stay on via the mylink (I think to a minute), a minute of headlamps on will not flatten your battery unless it is in poor condition or not charging correctly in the first place.

exactly!

the op by saying it flattened his battery is making it sound like the auto off function is dodgy and they just remain on until the battery is dead.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF2 Commodore Calais V8
Hey,

I’m looking for some advice concerning a small dysfunction isolated in the automated headlight function of the car

I have a 2015 VF SS Commodore Sedan. It’s completely stock, in terms of electrics, for informations sake.

Essentially the headlights are auto-activating even when passing through just a short, mildly shady section of road during the day (though activating appropriately at night), and remaining on full a majority of (if not the full trip), but function fine in activation at dusk/night.

I’m not referring to daylight runners, which work fine, as do high beams. I’ve also had it checked three times at Jarvis and Holden’s who couldn’t get the same fault to trigger (apparently), and it didn’t leave a fault code (asits recorded as an appropriate activation), plus it can be sporadic.

Although it’s not a huge issue, it is an annoying one, and most of all I’d like to know if it’s indicative of anything else that may go wrong (fingers crossed ).

Thanks for any help.

Cheers
As a first step Id say ditch the dashmat