Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto not dropping into 1st

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
My TUTD is set up as per factory where it will auto shift down to as low as 2nd gear. 1st gear needs to be manually selected.

But, in my auto modes I have it to downshift into 1st at 11km/h. Usually it's a double downshift from 3rd to 1st. Haven't had any reason to complain about how I have it set. It's all personal taste with the auto tuning, very subjective.

These tables are the factory setup for VF2 HSV. Pattern A is Sport and Pattern B is Drive. You can see in drive mode it will never shift to 1st. In sport mode it will downshift to 1st at 10km/h. And TUTD (manual shift) it will never auto shift to 1st on it's own if you forget to click the paddles, 2nd is the lowest it will go.

1643857348017.png

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
These tables are the factory setup for VF2 HSV
I'm using a VF2 SV Black (340) HSV trans program in my Series 2 Redline ute and I haven't noticed it taking off in 2nd gear from standstill, not that I've used performance or manual mode much. Using the paddles, it switches back to auto at standstill and paddle shifts in drive (ordinary mode) when using the paddle. It does the 1-2 upshift at 13 kmph with my SV6 ute, I changed that to 20 kmph with a few other shift point changes to shift gears as you'd drive a manual. Most auto's except the DTC BMW M models do the 1-2 short shift, a feature that doesn't make much sense to me.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
My TUTD is set up as per factory where it will auto shift down to as low as 2nd gear. 1st gear needs to be manually selected.

But, in my auto modes I have it to downshift into 1st at 11km/h. Usually it's a double downshift from 3rd to 1st. Haven't had any reason to complain about how I have it set. It's all personal taste with the auto tuning, very subjective.

These tables are the factory setup for VF2 HSV. Pattern A is Sport and Pattern B is Drive. You can see in drive mode it will never shift to 1st. In sport mode it will downshift to 1st at 10km/h. And TUTD (manual shift) it will never auto shift to 1st on it's own if you forget to click the paddles, 2nd is the lowest it will go.

View attachment 233077
Many thanks for the reply
my question is can I downshift while in manual mode from second gear into First gear while the car's moving.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I have on and off for 8 years no problem at a reasonable speed/rpm. Though like some others on here, mine does not like it done on a steepish decline and gave a fair mechanical knock and jolt a couple of times before I stopped trying.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Many thanks for the reply
my question is can I downshift while in manual mode from second gear into First gear while the car's moving.

Of course. If the adapts have played nice and your torque model is spot on it should rev match reasonably smoothly no matter what rpm.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Of course. If the adapts have played nice and your torque model is spot on it should rev match reasonably smoothly no matter what rpm.
Interesting regarding the rev matching. Ok say eg. At 15km I could manually downshift from 2nd into 1st (without touching the accelerator) and it should rev match into 1st gear

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mine does. Even if it is very subtle

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Interesting regarding the rev matching. Ok say eg. At 15km I could manually downshift from 2nd into 1st (without touching the accelerator) and it should rev match into 1st gear

I've just tried the exactly same downshift explained above at 24km into 1st gear without touching the accelerator and yes rev matched with no problems.
Thank you, that's handy to know.
Regards Mark
VF SS Redline series2 W407

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there is a couple tables associated with the rev matching that alot of tuners dont know and they think its just torque related and adjust or disable it and wonder why that feature dosnt work anymore, if u have had a tune and it dosnt work then thats your issue otherwise it should match each gear on downshift

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
I have always wondered why it doesn't automatically drop into 1st when using the manual-mode on an automatic. I remember my VE SV6 always dropped automatically to first gear, but my VF SS S2 doesn't - just sits in 2nd, even when completely stopped at traffic lights/only going like 2-5kms ph. I find the revs are always way too high/the gear lasts like 2 seconds before needing to go into 2nd anyway. I almost never use 1st.