Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto to maual / v6 to v8

Silky

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Acclaim
Hey guys

Just bought a vt hsv 5.0L a week ago to put into my vs, came with the ecu, bcm extractors and everything.

Also came wth the getrag 5 speed gearbox, which is unreal cause im also changing the vs to a manual. I feel like i've gotten my head mostly wrapped around the v6-v8 conversion but slightly unsure about auto-manual.

From my understanding, i'm going to have to get a vs v8 wiring loom out of a manual series 2 or 3? As they also ran getrag? And same thing goes with the shifter, pedals, etc?

If anyone could help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

bevzan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
vt ran sequential injection, which makes that ecu very rare (vs ute series 3) you would need a vs ute series 3 manual wiring loom , getting a custom loom costs a bit but saves plenty of trouble later on as everything is marked and ready to install (just did one in a vs ute running haltech plugin gm)
otherwise transplant the wiring loom from the vt as the bcm might/will give you some issues. (ignition barrel ???)
The pedals, master/slave cylinders and not cheap, try and get a complete pedal kit with everything, the slave is over $180 new, and master is over $500 new.
prob a few more issues but its late and my eyes are hanging out

Silky

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Acclaim
vt ran sequential injection, which makes that ecu very rare (vs ute series 3) you would need a vs ute series 3 manual wiring loom , getting a custom loom costs a bit but saves plenty of trouble later on as everything is marked and ready to install (just did one in a vs ute running haltech plugin gm)
otherwise transplant the wiring loom from the vt as the bcm might/will give you some issues. (ignition barrel ???)
The pedals, master/slave cylinders and not cheap, try and get a complete pedal kit with everything, the slave is over $180 new, and master is over $500 new.
prob a few more issues but its late and my eyes are hanging out
Okay so do you know if the master cylinder for brake and clutch are the same on the vs?
Also i didnt get the vt wiring loom with the motor as it was already gone, but what troubles are you thinking i may run into with ignition barrel? Also where would i be able to get a pedal kit from? Cheers.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just use any VS 5l loom and ECU, the VT loom and ECU aren't compatible. You'll probably have to change a few things with the dizzy (have a search around, it has been covered before but I'm not familiar).

A V6 Getrag pedal box should be exactly the same, and the slave cylinder should be universal across the all the Getrags used in Commodores. You pretty much got it in one in your first post.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The vt ecu isn't rare - they're everywhere. The vs s3 loom is rare though so you probably won't have any luck finding one. And the vs bcm doesn't care what you do - VATS can be turned off or if you have it all set up as per factory there won't be any problems. The extractors will only fit VT.

Personally, I'd sell everything except for the roller engine, find a t5 conversion kit and vr-vs ecu and loom and have it tuned to suit. Not sure if you'll be able to find crossmember/tailshaft etc to suit the vs easily (no t5 related components work with the getrag).

Last edited:

Silky

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Acclaim
So wont have any luck trying to get the vt ecu to work on the vs?

Found a series 3 ute wrecking in sydney, v8 manual, so if i could get most of my parts out of that i'll still be able to use the getrag?

Silky

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Acclaim
Also, by the extractors not fitting do you mean the cat section of the pipes? Surely the headers would fit whether its vt or vs ? Correct if wrong

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Not all VS series 3 have the roller engine. They're very hard to come across. Prior to Nov 1998, they didn't have the roller cam/sequential injection setup - the wiring loom and pcm is completely different. Unless you can find the right loom, your ecu won't be of any use to you. The extractors are different between VS and VT and aren't even close to fitting unfortunately - the VS extractors sit very close to the block whereas the VT ones don't.

Silky

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Acclaim
Oh okay, just looked and luckily the ute thats wrecking is a 99 model. So betting on the loom still being there, i can make it work with the vs?
Okay so best off selling the vt extractors and getting a set of vs ones? Thanks heaps for the info

Silky

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Acclaim
Can anyone answer my previous question please