Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto trans pressurizing fluid

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Righto I get ya,
So what I should do is get it hot again,and just keep putting in fluid untill it comes up to the hot mark?
Go through the gears staying on each for 5sec to make sure all gears are full.

If you say wake up and its been sitting overnight then you pull the dipstick without starting the car the Fluid level will be over the H mark as the fluid will drain back into the pan while sitting.

5min idling or a 5min drive will get it up to temp, like was said if its below C which I think should be low then top it up to it gets close to the H full mark.

Commydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 vz Commodore
Go through the gears staying on each for 5sec to make sure all gears are full.

If you say wake up and its been sitting overnight then you pull the dipstick without starting the car the Fluid level will be over the H mark as the fluid will drain back into the pan while sitting.

5min idling or a 5min drive will get it up to temp, like was said if its below C which I think should be low then top it up to it gets close to the H full mark.

Yeah right,fair enough,
I'm not to sure when the trans filter was changed last,
The trans seems to run fine,smooth changes,
Il put more fluid in 2moro an try bring it up to the h mark,

Cheers:)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
The dipstick can also be ejected if it is not clamped in securely - see the pics for a mod I did to tighten the dipstick clamp.
Good Luck.
Thanks hako did the mod the dipstick is tight as.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
......5min idling or a 5min drive will get it up to temp, like was said if its below C which I think should be low then top it up to it gets close to the H full mark.

That's bad advice. Note the following from the Holden Service Manual:

TRANSMISSION FLUID CHECKING PROCEDURE
1. Start engine and drive vehicle for a distance of 24 km, or until transmission normal operating temperature is reached.
NOTE:
As temperature greatly affects transmission fluid levels, this operation must only be carried out with the transmission at normal operating temperature (82 - 94° C). If the vehicle is not at normal operating temperature, and the proper checking procedures are not followed, the result could be a false reading of the fluid level on the dipstick.
2. Park vehicle on level ground.
3. Move gear selector to 'PARK' position.
4. Apply park brake.
5. Let engine idle for 3 minutes with accessories turned off.
6. Lift the locking lever on the red coloured dipstick, remove dipstick and check fluid colour, condition and level.
7. If the fluid level is low, add only enough Dexron® III to bring the level into the “HOT” area.
* Inaccurate fluid level readings will result if checked immediately after the vehicle has been operated under any
or all of the following conditions:
a. In high ambient temperatures above 32° C.
b. At sustained high speeds.
c. In heavy city traffic during hot weather.
d. Towing.
e. In commercial use (e.g. taxi).
* If the vehicle has been operated under these conditions, switch the engine off and allow the vehicle to 'cool' for
approximately thirty minutes. After the cool-down period, re-start the vehicle and continue from step 2, above.