Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Charger not charging

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
The VE/6 battery is flat no green.
The car hasn`t been driven 2 weeks.
Got good old charger (super cheap) red light on very dim just warm.

I`m going to buy this what do you think

CTEK Battery Charger 12V 7Amp - MXS7.0 - CTEK | Repco Australia

tNvaOSQ.png

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I have a deltron tender and I think it might be on the blink after 10years.
My brother has a couple of ctek chargers set up in his garage and they seem really good.
I might head out and get one at some stage.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Good choice Pete!

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have the Ctek 5amp. worked well the first time I used it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@VS_Pete, charging a battery is a complex bit of chemistry if one hopes to get a long service life for their batteries. Luckily smart chargers like the CTEK MXS range are more than up to the task and make charging and maintenance easier. The MXS 5.0 is more than adequate for charging batteries up to 110Ahrs and maintaining batteries up to 160Ahrs as well as being cheaper than the MXS 7. A VF commodore battery is i think 80Ahrs from memory... I have an MXS 5...

The complex part of charging batteries is that even well maintained batteries will degrade over time as that's just a fact of chemistry and no way around it.... The kicker for us suffering COVID lockdowns is that our cars weren't being used daily. And if you allow the battery's open circuit voltage to drops below 12.3V (2.05V/cell) then sulfation begins. And it's sulfation which will ultimately kill a battery prematurely and rather quickly if voltage is allowed to drop to single digits for extended periods of time. Sadly , there are two types of sulfation and only one type can be reversed (somewhat) by these smart chargers. The best way to avoid sulfation and premature battery death is to keep them charged above 12.6V when in storage which is where the CTEK comes in to it's own...

If your o/c battery voltage has been at single digit volts for weeks, likely it's not in great condition and likely the smart charger anti sulfation program may not fully correct it.

As such my advice would be to read Battery University's charging lead acid batteries to extend service life (and the few other pages on sulfation, etc) so you understand batteries a little better. (VE aint that different from VF from what i understand :p)

Then get your battery tested and if needed buy another battery.

Finally, buy a smart charger and if you have a tow bar (and don't have an electric trailer brake controller, look here for a simple wiring solution to charging your commodore.

If the battery tests ok but it's at 80% capacity, the temptation is to keep the battery and that may be ok for a few years more. But if you start to get fault codes poping up, that's a good hint the battery is past its used by date :p

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you have a welder at home.....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you have a welder at home.....

A modern sealed lead acid calcium batteries with thin textured plates wont respond well to a DC welder in the same way an old style thick lead plate open top flooded battery might.

I'd say if you try it, do it in a vented fume cupboard and be friends with a good PPE supplier and have a medic nearby :p Seriously, having just one mishap and in the process getting sulfuric acid in your eyes wont be any fun at all. Such is pain, suffering and loss of good vision would hardly be worth the possibe savings by not buying a battery for a few more years (if you actually get such a benefit)...

After all, sulpation is a chemical reaction that occurs with the lead plate and acid and actually consumes the lead in the process. Hard sulfation isn't simply reversible :rolleyes: