Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BCM and slip ring

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Team
Need some advice from someone with experience in relation to BCM/slip ring and key programming.

So my key failed - can't read the chip.

Ordered MAP key - failed to program

Got hold of BCM security code - tried to program MAP key using Tech 2 - failed to program

Looking at the live data if the key is not in the ignition the slip ring is not enabled

If I put the key into the ignition the slip ring flashes between yes and no (enabled and not enabled).

I have checked the slip ring - no problems with continuity or the connection point

Replaced the slip ring with a known working one - same result - slip ring live data cycling between yes and no

So the big question:

Is the cycling between yes/no in the live data related to the BCM not reading a correct code from the key fob (none programmed) and cycling through the process? or
Is the cycling of the yes/no on the live data an indication that the BCM is stuffed? or
Is there a third option I have not considered?

I trust someone out there has experienced this previously and can shed some light. I thought I finally had the problem solved; but no.

I'm currently banging my head against a wall now because it is more fun!

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
I remember from holden training that the slip ring is only used if the car hasn't been unlocked with the key remote in the last 45 seconds.

In other words, the keyless entry action deactivates the immobiliser for 45 seconds.

The live data showing temporary communication with the slip ring shows that the bcm is attempting to communicate with the key. This is normal.

If the key is recognised, the immobiliser status will change to unlocked on the scan tool live data.

If the key is not recognised, the immobiliser status will not change.

I think everything in your car is operating normally. Your key is the problem.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks @mechanic

Confirmed my thoughts. I don't have a functioning key head. I thought that once I got hold of the security code I could program a key to it using the clone Tech 2. Seems not.

I have been quoted $340 for a locksmith to come out and get a key linked to the BCM.

My understanding is that the BCMs, of the same level, are interchangable between VY, VZ, WK and WL. I have a BCM and key from my VZ that has been written off so I think I will try changing the key blade over, swap the BCM and key and then program it and link it to the PIM and PCM.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Can the tech2 program MAP keys?
You would think the procedure would be similar, I have no idea what commands those dongles send but it must automatically retrieve the security code and then attempt the programming.

Is it possible your bcm has been changed in the past? Would that change your security code from what it was from factory?

How did you get your security code? From Holden, from the card in glovebox or using a scantool?

I’ve probably only programmed about 10-12 keys for these models but about half the time I need to do it twice, no idea why. I always use the scantool to read the security code from the bcm and only use genuine keys.

The post above from Mechanic is spot on from what I’ve experienced too

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I'm not sure if the Tech 2 can scan them or not.

I retrieved the security code using a scantool.

Just changed the BCM over for the one in the VZ and I have solved the key problem. Just can't start it because I now need to link the BCM and PCM.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Progress at least. Do you need TIS approval to link modules on the VZ with a Tech2?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Progress at least. Do you need TIS approval to link modules on the VZ with a Tech2?
Yes, that's where I am stuck. I have a clone Tech 2 that will not accept TIS approval and nor will it work with cracked TIS Global. Does everything else perfectly. I have been stuffing around with it for a couple of weeks.

I ordered a Vident i730AU as I am sick of the stuffing around and I am waiting for it to be delivered. In the meantime a mate dropped over and had a crack with his scan tool and he was able to find the security code. So we tried programming the key and the rest of the tale is in this thread..

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
That sux. Pretty sure Snap-on scan tools can do it. I’ve got a PDF that shows the steps required and there’s no mention of any TIS type stuff other than needing the security code which it can also retrieve.
My Solus Edge has it but I’ve personally never tried. But at around 8k you’d be better off finding someone with one and not buying one

Attachments

• FDD54AB4-B368-4304-A5EF-A38B93F1E037.png
    FDD54AB4-B368-4304-A5EF-A38B93F1E037.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 134

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks - the Vident can supposedly do it so I am waiting patiently. Thanks for the guidance.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
You’re welcome and good luck. If you remember maybe make a note of it here after you try so others can do the same in the future