Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best $6000 Commodore

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
OP, a 6k commodore with a 5 litre is the best 6k commodore.....coz 5 litre.

If he was in the market for a v8 ive seen plenty of vx ss's for around the 5k mark these days, 5.7L>5L

SM1D3Y

aka Drew
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
+1 VY Calais with service history. Engine size is personal preference, unless running costs are a factor ( rego, insurance) L67 might be the best bang for buck option. Just my 2c

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I have a standard 4.0 litre that eats 5 litre commodores.....the best bit, the car cost me a whopping $500 and costs less to run than a 5 litre :)

So the wrong badge and no doubt sounds like ass.

If he was in the market for a v8 ive seen plenty of vx ss's for around the 5k mark these days, 5.7L>5L

That's a matter of opinion. IMHO, $6k 5.0 > $5k 5.7

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I have a standard 4.0 litre that eats 5 litre commodores.....the best bit, the car cost me a whopping $500 and costs less to run than a 5 litre :)

Haha, who cares? So, you go around trying to race people in a $500 turd....What a hero.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Well if it helps, IMO the 5L is a great sounding v8 - probably about the only thing the 5L has over the 5.7 lol. But I would suggest a caprice or statesman as new as you can afford though if he wants comfort and luxury.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
vy was made in 04 iirc, anything after that is vz, ve. ur budget of 6k really limits how young you can go verses the luxury items or model.
ie
a vz ss is possible but a ve ss may not be.
a vz calais is possible for 6k but for the same cost you will only afford say a ve omega.

you have to know what your dad wants from a car before we can suggest anything helpful. does he want performance, luxury or both? does he want economy and comfort. commodore or statesman? does he want a stock car or something thats been modified? does he really care whats under the bonnet?

everyone will have different opinions on what model is best from experience.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
That's a matter of opinion. IMHO, $6k 5.0 > $5k 5.7

well he said he was looking for something abit newer, I figured he was trying to steer clear of the whole vn-vt range of cars and get something a bit newer, and if he was going to get a v8 the newest one for around the 6g mark he could probably find is the vx ss or maybe a auto vy with a 5.7 in it

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I picked up a low k VX lumina to replace my old VR statesman a few months back (as a daily driver) and it's been a great car.

The ecotec in the VX moves the car well. (Or maybe that's because I was used to a 1800kg statesman being pulled by a Buick)

It's completely stock right down to the stereo deck and factory mags. It's fitted with a factory heavy duty tow pack (with external trans cooler) power windows/cruse/power seat and working a/c and spoiler and premium tungsten pearl paint. everything I was after in a daily is there and then some.

Gets me decent economy at 700k's to a tank.

The only addition I'm thinking of making is fog lights, a calais set or some decent after market ones as I do heaps of night time freeway driving.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
A mate picked up a mint, fully optioned 5.7L WK Caprice for 7k about 6 months ago from a dealer in Vic. Hard to beat that for value.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Haha, who cares? So, you go around trying to race people in a $500 turd....What a hero.

Yeah a $500 turd, but not on the street stoopid....Typical of you....assuming the worst