Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Door Locks - VL commodore

pirix

Reaction score
Members Ride
Executive VL
So i recently bought a 88 VL Executive and not having had it for even one day, it had already been targeted by thieves. well they didn't manage to break into it, but they did damage the locks.. so my question is, what are the best door and boot locks I can fit on a VL? I've read about solex, but i heard dirt and dust collects in the grooves of these.. I've heard that the star shape ones or the double groove locks were good but i don't know what they're called.. any help would be appreciated!

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
So i recently bought a 88 VL Executive and not having had it for even one day, it had already been targeted by thieves. well they didn't manage to break into it, but they did damage the locks.. so my question is, what are the best door and boot locks I can fit on a VL? I've read about solex, but i heard dirt and dust collects in the grooves of these.. I've heard that the star shape ones or the double groove locks were good but i don't know what they're called.. any help would be appreciated!

It wouldn't matter how good they are (If they even differ) a thief isn't about to stop and inspect the locking movement. They'll just smash a screwdriver in it.

Get the best you can afford.

pirix

Reaction score
Members Ride
Executive VL
Thank you for the reply, I understand that locks don't hold any real security against a determined thieve, which is why I'll also be getting an alarm, immobilizer, steering lock and even a wheel clamp for when i go to the supermarket ;) In regards to "best" though, a set of stock VL locks or Solex is pretty similar in price, so which would be the advisable option? Is there any other brand of Lock?

Cheers

kingsvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute
Sorry this is unrelated but how come I can only see 4 threads in vl section
I got it guys my bad

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
why not shave the locks and put in door poppers...

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Sorry this is unrelated but how come I can only see 4 threads in vl section
I got it guys my bad

where you see the 4x threads section, under post a new thread or whatever it is gives you a date option to what you can see... yours is prob set for the last month or so, change it to show all...

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Solex locks are only good for stopping somebody who owns another early model Commodore getting in.

If the doors have the anti-intrusion plates in them then the window regs are probably so worn out you can get in by rolling the window down from the outside.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
I have solex on another car thay just broke the window lol
yer not many posts on vl site lol