Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Headlight globes for depth

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
I need to replace one of the low beam globes on my Series 1 Calais V Wagon. As the globe replacement in the VF is such a pain, I thought I would replace all the globes both high and low beam. My main criteria for a replacement globe is depth. I live in the country and do most of the driving at 100-120km/h using B grade roads which do have animals like kangaroos and wombats. I find the original high beam is Ok but as the car is 11 years old and has done 287k the globes are end of life. I do not care whether the replacement globes are halogen, HID or LED, I just want globes with the most depth for both high and low beam. I recently hit a wombat and had the wagon away for repairs and I was given a hybrid stroller as a hire car. While the stroller had bright lights I was shocked at the lack of high beam depth compared to the VF wagon. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The high beams are easy to change with bonnet open. I have LED highbeams and look good when turned on but I don't think the have the depth of normal globes. The freeway signs nearly blind you while driving with high beams. I am on my second set of Phillips globes first were Crystal vision and noe Diamond vision. While diamond vision is a very white, they lack distance and also are crap when roads are wet.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Phillips Ultinon Access LED

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I have LED highbeams and look good when turned on but I don't think the have the depth of normal globes.
I've done one conversion on a VF2 using Narva Gen2 LED's. They have a better light spread than the stock halogens, but I thought distance wise on high beam was about the same and definitely no better. The Narva LED's were too underwhelming to bother doing another conversion since.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Black Edition V8
3000% better than halogen and absolutely no codes...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The best factory setup is to get a set of US Chevy SS headlamp assemblies, opened them up and convert to RHD cut off pattern. These are HID lamps with self levellers so you need to also get some wiring, level sensors front and back and level controller :p

Still non compliant down since we’d also need headlight washers which the Chevy SS doesn’t need in ’merica ;)

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
I may be confusing between Hi/Lo beam, but from what Ive researched, if you want Depth LED isn't the best due to the design of the VF reflector.

LED will be brighter, but gets scattered more so you get less distance

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If an LED bulb is bought that is any old bulb, that’s what happens. When the LED is not positioned the same as the halogen filament, the light hits the wrong parts of the reflector and the light beam doesn’t reflect onto the road the same. That’s a big part of why they are poo-pooed. There is so much garbage on the market it’s no surprise they are not legal unless your car had them from factory. Clowns will be installing all sorts of problem causing rubbish results. They are often producing light in a poorly regulated way. More light does not equal better light. If the housing it’s installed into is not able to reflect or project the light as it was designed to, there is going to be problems.

If you buy a precision bulb like the Philips Ultinon Access, the LED is positioned in exactly the same place the relative bulb type has the halogen filament. The light is projected or reflected in the same way as factory bulbs would. However, with halogen the light is emitted everywhere meaning light can be wasted (it’s a thing, there’s a TED talk on it) in the sense that light is spread to places that need not be illuminated.

With an LED that replicates a H7 or H11 etc with the light source position, the light emitted is far better focused into the reflector or projector and reduces stray light. The housings use the emitted light more efficiently. You get better depth. You get less dazzle for oncoming cars.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The best factory setup is to get a set of US Chevy SS headlamp assemblies, opened them up and convert to RHD cut off pattern. These are HID lamps with self levellers so you need to also get some wiring, level sensors front and back and level controller
Are the Chev SS HID's any better than the halogens?

I've only driven one vehicle with OEM HID's, a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and they were dreadful, a lot worse than the VF halogens.