Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Headlight globes for depth

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Down under, Phillips does have a LED Ultinon product web page that has a specs section within but the only compliance is related to ECE R10 (related to electrical interference) and they clearly state they do not comply with ECE R37
ECE R37 applies to globes illuminated by a heating filament. I don't think by construction, an LED globe is eligible for ECE R37 testing.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
ECE R37 applies to globes illuminated by a heating filament. I don't think by construction, an LED globe is eligible for ECE R37 testing.
Sounds about right though I haven’t read the doc…

And therein lies the problem with the regs where the technology had been quantified in the regulations itself rather than the expected outcomes, like mechanical packaging, bulb light output, bulb beam spread, headlamp beam spread, headlamp beam cutoff, test methodology, etc…

The problem here is that a LED H4 globe can never be compliant with the regulations and thus the globe can never be compliant and thus the headlamp assembly and globe can never be compliant. So it seems that Phillips takes a piecemeal approach and provides a docs that verify that their adapter globe and a specific vehicle headlamp assembly complies with the intent of the regulations and the vehicle owner should carry that doc in their glovebox (in case they are questioned by police)… The problem being that such sloppy certification process must be done vehicle by vehicle and can be a PITA if the cop is obstinate and doesn’t understand what’s being provided…

Regs can be a bit of a clusterfuck at times and can leave a vehicle owner in a bit of a pickle .. I just consider the drama one Hyundai i30N driver had in the USA when a policeman ticketed him for driving a noisy non compliant car (which needed corrective fix according to the regulator but the manufacturer said there was nothing to fix; catch 22) … It took him quite a while (almost a year?) to sort out and that only happened when the media got involved. Obviously with a headlamp bulb, you’d just remove it and insert a halogen one and get an inspection but it’s all a PITA if on the rare occasion you get pulled over, all because regulations are updated so slowly that polar ice caps seem to melt quicker in comparison :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
They just work well without causing a problem to others
But they are currently “non compliant” as Zeher Khalil of YouTube‘s Site Inspections says :confused:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
But they are currently “non compliant” as Zeher Khalil of YouTube‘s Site Inspections says :confused:
By technicality, however the bulb clearly works as it should in the vehicles certified so far. They can not do all the vehicles and never will. It's not possible. If a H7 or H11 works in one car, there is a bloody high likely hood it will do so in any other vehicle.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore

The sheer number of small peepee flogs rolling coal around in city dwelling, curb crawler, DBF deleted forby's, I gave up giving a toss about my non compliant bulbs and take the gamble. If plod gets me, I'll just assume that they must have a good bonus that month for hitting their fine quotas and have miserable lives.

Last I checked, LED headlights aint gonna give people lung cancer

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
My car currently displays this error from time to time. Is this a canbus error. If I restart the car it often goes away.

Attachments

• headlight error.jpg
    headlight error.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 38

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Last I checked, LED headlights aint gonna give people lung cancer
They do in California … everything gives you cancer in California :p:p:p

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
To start with just put any Philips bulb in there that won't melt your headlights. When I replaced the old original globes in mine there was a good improvement just because the old ones had lost a lot of brightness.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I gave up giving a toss about my non compliant bulbs and take the gamble.
I remember when halogen headlights were noticeable over sealed beams and then HID/LED noticeable over halogen. But realistically today, there are so many cars with OEM HID/LED headlights and the multitude of whiter/bluish halogen globes, I'm confident the cops wouldn't stop a VF Commodore with an LED conversion suspecting illegal headlight globes unless the low beam light was blinding.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
My car currently displays this error from time to time. Is this a canbus error. If I restart the car it often goes away.
Yes, if it has LED's low beam globes.