Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Headlight globes for depth

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Are the Chev SS HID's any better than the halogens?

I've only driven one vehicle with OEM HID's, a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and they were dreadful, a lot worse than the VF halogens.
My van has factory HIDs, they do take about a minute or 2 to warm up, and in this warm up phase they are worse than halogens. But as soon as they're warm, they are so much better.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
My van has factory HIDs, they do take about a minute or 2 to warm up, and in this warm up phase they are worse than halogens. But as soon as they're warm, they are so much better.
I don't know if the Jeep HID's were working at correct intensity, but high beam distance on the open road was extremely poor. The adaptive LED headlights on my wife's BMW SUV although they're not mind blowing, are probably the best OEM headlights I've seen.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I don't know if the Jeep HID's were working at correct intensity, but high beam distance on the open road was extremely poor. The adaptive LED headlights on my wife's BMW SUV although they're not mind blowing, are probably the best OEM headlights I've seen.
Yes mine also has adaptive headlights in the sense that they move when the vehicle is turned.
I actually can't remember what high beams are in the van, I've never changed them.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Are the Chev SS HID's any better than the halogens?

I've only driven one vehicle with OEM HID's, a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and they were dreadful, a lot worse than the VF halogens.
I don’t have a Chevy SS but Holden did have HID headlights on WM? Caprice and I’d hazard a guess they’d have much the same as Chevy SS headlight light output.

So any JC member with a WM and who’s also driven a commodore could comment on the HID light output and reach ;)

For me, engineered LED headlight assemblies > engineered HID assemblies > engineered Halogen assemblies though lots on the forum swear that the bastardised LED/HID Halogen globe inserts are the bees knees…

[rant]
Really, back in the day when headlamps were legislated to be round or square or rectangle, that meant because the shape was standardised one could easily upgrade to an improved tech as it became available. Today you can get great LED round headlight to fit your 60’s car and have better night vision than many modern cars. Upgrading modern cars headlamps is near impossible because of the poor economies of scale with millions of headlamp assembly shapes. So it’s either do a technically illegal upgrade or buy a newer car to get better night vision. Oh, and don’t get old while doing the upgrade as white light is **** for old eyes.
[/rant]

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I feel H9 HID's have the best depth for high beams, but the affordable versions have a distinct warm up time which puts them at a disadvantage.

I currently have JW Speakers H9 LEDs in 2 of my utes. The depth isn't quite as good as HID's, but they are instantly bright and crap on any H9 halogen bulb.

Still running HID's in low beams on all of the utes.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
If an LED bulb is bought that is any old bulb, that’s what happens. When the LED is not positioned the same as the halogen filament, the light hits the wrong parts of the reflector and the light beam doesn’t reflect onto the road the same. That’s a big part of why they are poo-pooed. There is so much garbage on the market it’s no surprise they are not legal unless your car had them from factory. Clowns will be installing all sorts of problem causing rubbish results. They are often producing light in a poorly regulated way. More light does not equal better light. If the housing it’s installed into is not able to reflect or project the light as it was designed to, there is going to be problems.

If you buy a precision bulb like the Philips Ultinon Access, the LED is positioned in exactly the same place the relative bulb type has the halogen filament. The light is projected or reflected in the same way as factory bulbs would. However, with halogen the light is emitted everywhere meaning light can be wasted (it’s a thing, there’s a TED talk on it) in the sense that light is spread to places that need not be illuminated.

With an LED that replicates a H7 or H11 etc with the light source position, the light emitted is far better focused into the reflector or projector and reduces stray light. The housings use the emitted light more efficiently. You get better depth. You get less dazzle for oncoming cars.
Do the Philips Ultinon Access globes bring up canbus errors.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Do the Philips Ultinon Access globes bring up canbus errors.
I’ve used them in older models where that isn’t a thing. Not VF though.

I know these bulbs are an approved replacement for halogen bulbs in Europe for quite a few cars.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Thought there was Factory HIDs in some older models?
VZ and WL (maybe only some HSVs?)
Slightly different model but possible to give a comparison from Halogen, LED and HID that way.
Have HIDs factory in mine (VZ model) and the high beam is fantastic, the low beams are so so.
Still alright but depth does lack a little, but it could be they were angled down a bit.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’ve used them in older models where that isn’t a thing. Not VF though.

I know these bulbs are an approved replacement for halogen bulbs in Europe for quite a few cars.
That sounds rather interesting because our ADR’s are just placeholders that refer to ECE Regulations, so if specific LED adapter globes a legit in Europe you’d think they should likewise be legit down under, yet Phillips Australia seems a little moot on the subject :oops:

Having a quick look, I can’t find good info on this subject. It seems they have some sort of country specific non English language docs below but my Croatian, German and French are non existent

https://philips.com/RoadLegalLED doesn't respond for me…

Down under, Phillips does have a LED Ultinon product web page that has a specs section within but the only compliance is related to ECE R10 (related to electrical interference) and they clearly state they do not comply with ECE R37 (which is for globes in Halogen headlamp assemblies)

Really it’s a clusterfuck trying to determine if a product sold down under actually complies and is thus legal… Seems to be a work in progress but its a beginning to retrofitting better globes in further :cool: just not there yet :(

Gotta say it’s disappointing that LED Ultinon H4 globes (and all/most LED globes for that matter) only have a 1500hr life… where’s that 20k-50k + hours of globe life that we were told about at the inception of the LED crusade to save the planet… Seems the cartel is still alive and well :(

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I get that our vehicles aren’t listed. The point being that they are a quality bulb. The growing list has to go through a heap of hoops but it shows that no matter what car they go in, they don’t create a mess of problematic over powered light.

They can’t say LED’s are ok in Australia because there is so much shite on the market that there is no even playing field. There is no regulation in place. Technology moving faster than regulatory process.

They just work well without causing a problem to others