Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best oil and filter for 225k LS1 PLEASE HELP WITH ADVICE!!!!!

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I wonder how well that engine would hold up being thrashed a bit with that tractor oil in it tho?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Tractors spends hours on end with the engines running at constant high loads, more so than any road engine ever would.......

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Tractors spends hours on end with the engines running at constant high loads, more so than any road engine ever would.......

Would still rather put a good quality synthetic oil in my LS1 over tractor oil

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate, go down to your local John Deere dealer and see some of the technology tractors have these days, I bet some are as comfortable as any Commodore with more gadgets to play with ;)

Don't judge the quality of the oil by what brand of vehicle it is used in.

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
Yes maybe I could of edited the tractor oil , but the rest I hope was helpful anyway cheers:) , Quality is quality in the end but yes the application needs to be right to its a balance and in the end personal choice, and the more information the more imformed choice you can make hopefully. All the best.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars measure mileage as a guide to engine wear, how do they measure on a tractor seeing as they only move at relatively low speeds?

Would be interesting to find out how they measure and what the service intervals are? I'd imagine much like aircraft they would track engine run time.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
For the record, my V6 has clocked over 300,000km and I'm not happy using the 20w/50 Nulon high KM oil in it. I get more drivetrain noise, fuel economy is very slightly worse, and the car feels a tad sluggish. My injectors are also in need of a clean, and the oil appears to have exacerbated the flat spots caused by this, but that could also be all in my head. I'll be switching back to 10w or 15w/40 full synthetic this month. The LS1 may be different, but I think if it's in good condition there's no need for the high KM oil. Don't take my word for it though, I'm no expert...

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
tractors do run hour meters to determine run time , but this can vary from plowing a field or running a generator too running a water pump for hours on end with very different loads applied to the engine either thru the wheels or the PTO shaft or both .

elless1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
I use hpr 15 in my ls engines.
Also use genuine gm filters. Nothing wrong with the ryco jobs either.

Coopers filters are **** and i wouldnt use one to hold a door open.

Mr Blackstock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive 3.8l V6
I have been driving and riding old vehicles and bikes for quite a few years, and the oil arguments have been around for about 100 years. It seems the best thing to do, considering every ones differing opinions...regardless of oil or filter quality, change both every 5000kms. Cheap or expensive oil does not matter. Always follow the manuafacturers recommendations on oil viscosity, unless you are using the vehicle in extreme conditions, ie antarctic or sahara or high altitude.
For the best info on oils: Used Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

cheers, Gareth