Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best oil for transmission service and oil for normal service

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My mechanic will be copping an ear full tomorrow.
Take a picture of the relevant page of the service schedule from within your service booklet and show him ;)

Jasonjohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6
Take a picture of the relevant page of the service schedule from within your service booklet and show him ;)
I can’t because he ripped it out after servicing it last time when it would of said to do the transmission service…

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
Hi all, what does everyone use that is premium quality for transmission service? Along with filters & pricing?

For VF commodores what is the KM range to give your car a transmission service?
Hi.
I did a transmission service at 40 Thousand km. When the car was still under warranty as I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong.
The dealer told me that it would be due at 110 thousand km.
My Redline is ten years old now and has only 87 thousand K on in.
It is just pease of mind.
PS: I used all genuine parts and oil.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
… he says it will last the life of the car
When a transmission dies in older cars, in many cases the cars are junked because it’s not worth rebuilding the transmission when considering the vehicle‘s prior value… In that context, by definition it has lasted the life of the car :eek::oops::p

But when asked the question, your mechanic should have checked the schedule before spouting life of vehicle rubbish :mad:

And for longer life, more frequent fluid changes (diff, transmission, engine, brakes, cooling system, etc) than what’s specified will make a huge difference in how long things last..

Jasonjohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6
When a transmission dies in older cars, in many cases the cars are junked because it’s not worth rebuilding the transmission when considering the vehicle‘s prior value… In that context, by definition it has lasted the life of the car :eek::oops::p

But when asked the question, your mechanic should have checked the schedule before spouting life of vehicle rubbish :mad:

And for longer life, more frequent fluid changes (diff, transmission, engine, brakes, cooling system, etc) than what’s specified will make a huge difference in how long things last..
Exactly mate. Atleast some people know what they’re talking about

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yet no car dealer service manager has ever asked me about the conditions I drive within and/or whether I tow periodically. So I’m not surprise that no service centre has ever recommended that I follow the sever service schedule. Yet I’m sure if I ever had issues that would be the first reason that the dealer and/of manufacturer would use to deny any warranty claim :mad:
Have you been driving your MSE? :cool: