Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big wheels - 20 inch vs 22 inch. Which would you buy?

Would you buy 22's for a SUV

• Yes, if you've got the space they will help fill the gaurds and look great.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Yes, but be prepared for the ride quality to suffer dramatically.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I've had 22's before and wouldn't buy again.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • No, I don't like the look of wheels that big, even on an SUV.

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I personally wouldn't go any bigger than 19, unless you want to look like a wank and have a car that rides like ****.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Depends on the suspension setup as well.

My VS is lowered with 18" rims (235/40R18 Tyres), rides like crap.
My TJ Magna is lowered with 18" rims (235/40R18 Tyres), rides great.

Two different cars, different suspension setup (VS has live axle rear, TJ has struts all round) same size wheels, same height, completely different ride quality.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Ride quality=15", mabye 16's max. Even 17's ride crap IMO. Anything bigger would drive me insane after about 5 mintues.

Agreed!

16's are my preference, on my current car, and my previous (4door jap sedan), there is no need to go bigger unless you have to clear massive brakes. I hate those awkward gaps between brakes and wheels.

anyway, SV6 question: I do not thing you should go overly large on an SUV. It may look cool for a day, or a week, but then the novelty will quickly wear off and you are left with 4 giant wheels that require meticulous cleaning, a car that rides like ar$e, and you have to sell your house (or sister) when you require more tyres for it.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Friend put 20s I think on his Colarado, and took them off real quick. Fuel economy suffered as well as ride quality. Stick with what size the vehicle comes with.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
If you have wheels that big on an offroader, you might as well buy some spray on mud and just bolt your boat to the roofrack instead of strapping it down. They all advertise the fact that you will never, ever actually use 4wd.

Keep in mind that although you appear to have the same amount of sidewall as a Commodore, your car has a completely different suspension. It will be uncomfortable as hell, and when (if?) you ever take it off road, the first time a tyre sees a rock it will explode in fright. Offroad tyres have a completely different design, they are much stronger especially in the sidewalls.

Oh, and they make you look like a New York drug dealer too... 'Yo dawg, we gonna pimp your ride with something really expensive, ugly and utterly useless..'

T-Bone75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline, VC resto
All the haters.. so typical. I didn't see him say anywhere that he planned to drive off road. 99% of what are now called 'SUV's never go off bitumen. Tyres are only a part of ride comfort. To those saying 16 inch and above are uncomfortable.. you must have hemorrhoids or something, see a doctor.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Well he did ask for advice and opinions and he got them.
No.....he didn't say he was going off road. Other people who ask for advice on tyres and rims don't necessarily go racing either....but they could.
We are only exploring all the options available for his type of vehicle. Whether he takes it off road is up to him.
As far as ride comfort on bigger wheels.....thats other peoples opinions and they are only giving advice in one way or another what they have experienced.
By the way....there must be a hell of a lot of people with Haemorrhoids. :rofl2:

Last edited:

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I saw a Colorado with big wheels and low profile tyres driving on the highway in a 60 zone a while back. The tyres bounced off the road as much as they were on the road. At times it looked like there was a 40mm gap between the tyre and the road. I would hate to think what it would have done in a 110 zone. It looked dangerous to me.