Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big wheels - 20 inch vs 22 inch. Which would you buy?

Would you buy 22's for a SUV

• Yes, if you've got the space they will help fill the gaurds and look great.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Yes, but be prepared for the ride quality to suffer dramatically.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I've had 22's before and wouldn't buy again.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • No, I don't like the look of wheels that big, even on an SUV.

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
Big wheels and tires have to better than those gimps you see driving around with mud terrains on the highway.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Tree cutter, was it a black one?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Tree cutter, was it a black one?

Can remember now if it was black or gray. I just remember watching those tyres bouncing along the road and having a laugh to myself. It wouldnt have been any worse with old wooden spoke wheels with the steel band for a tyre.

SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5
Thanks for all of the responses.

Admittedly I didn't buy an 'SUV' for it's off road capability. I bought it more for it's practicality, towing capacity, reasonably compact size etc. Unlikely to ever take it on anything more than an unsealed track so off road tyres are not a consideration.

Was just keen to get thoughts on ride quality of 20's vs 22's and the theory behind sidewall heights.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Depends on the suv, ml63's ride nice with 20's. I havent been in the bmw's but ill assume the x5 and x6's ride just fine.
I was going to put big rims on my ml but then thought whats the point? Stock alloys look just fine.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
why stop at 22s ..

Go 40s yo
40_Inch_Rims.jpg

SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5
See this is what I don't understand. Most of you make comments about how big wheels make for poor ride quality.

BUT - Is it the big rim at fault or the really low profile tyre that most people have to use to fit under their guards?

If I ran a 265/35 on a 22 is the ride going to be any worse than a 265/35 on an 18 inch rim?

Can I reasonably expect to nice a difference between say a 275/40/20 and a 265/35/22?

T-Bone75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline, VC resto
It's a sad indictment on this forum that you have to ask the same question again.

SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5
It's a sad indictment on this forum that you have to ask the same question again.

I'm glad i'm not the only one thinking that... no shortage of smart opinions but ask for something more solid and..... [tumbleweeds]

Worth another try??? I'd have thought someone on here would know the answer or have experience with this.

If I ran a 265/35 on a 22 is the ride going to be any worse than a 265/35 on an 18 inch rim?

Can I reasonably expect to nice a difference between say a 275/40/20 and a 265/35/22?