Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bloody concreter

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
go tell ACA and TT. They should be able to turn it into a 3 week long special

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
I agree. Honestly, slabs crack for reasons other then poor workmanship. Maybe the ground underneath sunk. Maybe you left the hose on one night and it soaked the soil beneath it. Maybe it still has a slight amount of moisture. You had it poured in April which is coming into the cold months, it probably didn't even have a chance to dry and now that it is getting hot the slab is expanding/shrinking.

Seriously, deal with it. As posted, I don't know what you are expecting the courts to do. Did he offer any sort of warrenty with his work? Cos if not, case closed..[/QUOTE

Well we have had the driest lowest rainfall in many years and we have had about 3 or 4 warm days lately(about 25)and that has been after the crack has appeared so forget about the weather side of it.There was a good amount of time from when the area was ready to pour to when it was poured.No hose was left on either.Also the court route was recommended to me by another member all i asked was if i have any legal rights.
I have the right to ask the question and if it happened to you you would be upset too,gee i remember a 2 page thread about you not getting a couch quick enough.
If you cant give me any good advice please dont bother adding to the thread Troy.

FusionX

Reaction score
Maybe the ground underneath sunk.

Unless the concreter did the compaction work of the site, then he can easily get out using this as an excuse. Failed compaction can easily lead to cracking of slabs. We had to dig one site out 15m deep and fill back compacting every .5m to get it to standard.

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Unless the concreter did the compaction work of the site, then he can easily get out using this as an excuse. Failed compaction can easily lead to cracking of slabs. We had to dig one site out 15m deep and fill back compacting every .5m to get it to standard.

We got the area dug out to the level and depth he wanted,we even had our excavator guy and him together at the house so there was no mess ups.The concreter brought in the gravel etc and did all the work himself.

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
if the job was off the books, cash in hand its basically ur problem, if not go to the department of fair trading, u have a case there. It should have a control joint (foam) between the existing structure and the new slab, to allow for movement between the two to stop craking. but keep in mind they will crack to some extent.. cbf reading back but if u said 20mm crack? that isnt normal. acceptable allowance it brickwork/render etc is =<2mm, by the DFT guidelines.

troy is on the right path with weather. it plays a huge roll. with a big dry spell, foundations will shrink. mate we have had that many jobs from the big dry. doors/windows jambing, structual cracks etc.

yeh if u got them to do the job through the books, u have a good chance of getting a result, if not, lesson learnt.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I don't see the problem with this guy chasing it up. Australia one day America the next?

What happened to some pride in your work? If there's a crack the least the guy could do would be to come back and take a look at it.

To me not answering calls and taking the cash just makes him seem guilty for doing a half assed job.

Add the above to the poor colour mix and the pebbles and I'd be wanting my money back too.

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
if the job was off the books, cash in hand its basically ur problem, if not go to the department of fair trading, u have a case there. It should have a control joint (foam) between the existing structure and the new slab, to allow for movement between the two to stop craking. but keep in mind they will crack to some extent.. cbf reading back but if u said 20mm crack? that isnt normal. acceptable allowance it brickwork/render etc is =<2mm, by the DFT guidelines.

troy is on the right path with weather. it plays a huge roll. with a big dry spell, foundations will shrink. mate we have had that many jobs from the big dry. doors/windows jambing, structual cracks etc.

yeh if u got them to do the job through the books, u have a good chance of getting a result, if not, lesson learnt.

I have a signed reciept form him so thats sorted,it doesnt have the foam between the slab and the house.
The crack is approx 2 mm long and getting longer and i have found another one starting up at another spot.
I understand the weather side of it but we found cracks after approx 14 weeks after the job was done,so it hasnt really been thorugh the extreme changes of weather.

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
he wont come back if you have already paid him.
Not being a bastard but its tuff luck really, it maybe the foundation underneath or the fact that the ground underneath the slab was compacted causin it to lower and with warm wheather it would have made the concrete expand and shift....
but u should always get a concrete cutters to put expansion joins in it, even if it might look **** with cuts in it it will help with the cracks..

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Here are some photos,and the crack is now about 4m long.

Attachments

• fitty.jpg
    fitty.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 159
  • fork in the road.jpg
    fork in the road.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 151
  • no foam.jpg
    no foam.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 187