Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rishey89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT berlina
hey guys..

lastngiht was driving around when suddenly got a massive coolant smell all through the car. jumped out popped the bonnet to find coolant all over the engine bay but all hoses were fine and no cracks in the radiator (its brand new last week).. waited a while to let it cool down then very carefully started making my way back home.. a slight ticking noise started coming from the engine bay.. as the engine got hotter the noise got louder. pulled over again to have a look, my mate and i couldnt find anything so started doing a u-turn and the ticking got real loud then the car died.. left it for 2-3 hours till it was COLD.. then drove home.. ive noticed its ok when its cold but as soon as the temp gets a quater hot the ticking starts and gets worse until the car is un-driveable then once the car is cold again it all starts again.. the ticking is coming from the back/drivers side of the engine..

gearbox? blown head? lifters? valve guides? waterpump?

if ANYONE can help me out it will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Jon

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
any coolant in the oil and vice versa?

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
lets see, coolant all over engine, means blown hose or something somewhere, means loss of coolant.
You drove it home cooking the engine as low level of coolant renders the temperature gauge useless and/or inaccurate
You let it cool down then cooked engine again
Result could be now a blown head gasket(s), stuffed lifters, almost seized or seized engine.

Conclusion: think your screwed here. but hey, this is one of those that cant really be diagnosed through a forum i wouldnt think, just guess work can happen here, go see a mechanic.

This reminds me of my bosses daughter, drove her car to the workshop one day after steam started billowing from under the bonnet, the temperature gauge didnt show engine overheating so she kept driving. Half way to work shop engine stalls. calls father, we go out, sure enough, engine cooked, require new engine. She swore black and blue the gauge never went up above normal, yes we believe her and tried to explain that the gauge needs water to work propery and without water it wont work properly and wont give accurate readings.