Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BMW E39 528i daily

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Euro cars can be beautiful to drive and handle way better than a lot of other cars out there. The issue is cost of parts and finding a place that knows how to diagnose problems correctly. Unfortunately I have not heard of anyone getting a good run from their BMW down here and the cars have ended up spending as much time off the road as they are on it, because the faults are not easily identified and you can try seven different things to fix the one problem and still not fix it.
You can use a Bluetooth scanner and read through the codes.... You must buy a well maintained example because otherwise, it'll backfire in your face...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
It's why I love the E46. Common parts are cheaper than the Commodore, just as easy as to work on, drives nicer, more safety and mod cons, massive worldwide community support and all the inbuilt problems are very well understood

This thing is basically one owner and after reading the history it was a no brainer. 170k, so just worn in. The M54 is probably the best 6 banger BMW ever made with a ZF 5 speed to back it up. The only thing I've done was upgrade the power steering pump to an LF30. Won't need to touch it til the next oil change. 7500km is a better number

I've never admitted it on this forum but bimmers are my other vehicular passion. Most folk are scared of them but they're nothing to be afraid of if you're a DIY person. Nothing drives quite like them
That sounds promising but are parts really cheaper than a Commodore? (Because I've heard real mixed responses)

How about the subframe? Have you had any problems with it? Or the cooling system which loves to crack?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can use a Bluetooth scanner and read through the codes.... You must buy a well maintained example because otherwise, it'll backfire in your face...
Yeah I'd assume the garages that worked on the couple of BMW'S I know of would have decent diagnostic equipment. But it can still be hard to know what the issue is, which causes the code. This is where around here we have mechanics that replace parts hoping the problem is solved but fairly often it's not and it needs more parts thrown at it. Because they are not common cars the problem parts can be hard to correctly diagnose as there is just too little knowledge about for most European cars.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Yeah I'd assume the garages that worked on the couple of BMW'S I know of would have decent diagnostic equipment. But it can still be hard to know what the issue is, which causes the code. This is where around here we have mechanics that replace parts hoping the problem is solved but fairly often it's not and it needs more parts thrown at it. Because they are not common cars the problem parts can be hard to correctly diagnose as there is just too little knowledge about for most European cars.
Gone are the days where you could just replace parts to find the problem... These Euro's are now very computerised....

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That sounds promising but are parts really cheaper than a Commodore? (Because I've heard real mixed responses)

How about the subframe? Have you had any problems with it? Or the cooling system which loves to crack?

It's true. The PS pump, pulley, high pressure and low pressure lines plus reservoir was under $300 OEM. Breeze to fit. My SS pump and pulley alone is more than that non OEM! I've looked at a tonne of parts in the same boat

Subframe is fine. First thing I checked. It's more a 2000-02 issue in manuals. Not as common as the internet would have you believe given how many were made. Expansion tank, hoses, thermostat and water pump was changed over 20k ago. Valve cover, coils, plugs, oil pump housing gasket and vanos lines 50k ago. DISA upgraded 60k ago. The list goes on, centre bearing, flex disc, control arms, tie rods.... . All the before mentioned parts are cheap as anyway and easy DIY. Like I said maintenance record is flawless

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I've thought about a bimmer for about 5 years . As a daily.
Back then my VS Maloo was my daily and then it's auto sxxt itself = so rebuild and stay with.
In 2020 inquired about one in Perth, was a fair price but with transport to east = I just couldn't do it ( hindsight and prices now=OH ) =should have.
I rang about one in Sydney ( I'm in Newcastle ) = sold ( bugger all for sale and even less then ) so , 2 weeks later he rang , sale fell through but I'd bought my Focus ST.

I'm now thinking go look again ( talking/writing this ).

MY model looking at = not as practical as the Focus but certainly just as much fun , if not more.

A 2006/2009 130i = last of the screaming N/A 6s in a little wagon/hatch!!!!

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I've thought about a bimmer for about 5 years . As a daily.
Back then my VS Maloo was my daily and then it's auto sxxt itself = so rebuild and stay with.
In 2020 inquired about one in Perth, was a fair price but with transport to east = I just couldn't do it ( hindsight and prices now=OH ) =should have.
I rang about one in Sydney ( I'm in Newcastle ) = sold ( bugger all for sale and even less then ) so , 2 weeks later he rang , sale fell through but I'd bought my Focus ST.

I'm now thinking go look again ( talking/writing this ).

MY model looking at = not as practical as the Focus but certainly just as much fun , if not more.

A 2006/2009 130i = last of the screaming N/A 6s in a little wagon/hatch!!!!
You probably should've done a Manual swap for your VS Maloo... I agree, BMW N/A inline 6's are awesome!

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
It's true. The PS pump, pulley, high pressure and low pressure lines plus reservoir was under $300 OEM. Breeze to fit. My SS pump and pulley alone is more than that non OEM! I've looked at a tonne of parts in the same boat

Subframe is fine. First thing I checked. It's more a 2000-02 issue in manuals. Not as common as the internet would have you believe given how many were made. Expansion tank, hoses, thermostat and water pump was changed over 20k ago. Valve cover, coils, plugs, oil pump housing gasket and vanos lines 50k ago. DISA upgraded 60k ago. The list goes on, centre bearing, flex disc, control arms, tie rods.... . All the before mentioned parts are cheap as anyway and easy DIY. Like I said maintenance record is flawless
Do you think this is a good deal?

1652782440170.png

Seller says that it's been with the family since new and this has the M54 engine and it's a manual!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You probably should've done a Manual swap for your VS Maloo...

Reckon I'd prefer an auto than a Getrag behind a V8. I have a manual and it's ok. Sometimes wish I had the ease of an auto with 3500 stally like I had in the old ute. Manual makes mine more of a mans car, but the 150 gear changes on my way home from work gets annoying, hahaha. Meh, first world problems....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd love a VS Maloo in the shed next to Black Thunder. I think the VS Maloo was the pick of the bunch when it comes to Maloo's. Classic look IMHO, I think they went overboard when they designed the VE Maloo, I think the Redline looked better than the Maloo's in the later years.