Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2009 SV6 M82 Trans 5-speed (5L40E) changing filter and oil (@ 52000km)

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
As someone who has recently had a 5L40 completely lunch itself - definitely go for the external trans cooler. I suspect that part of our problem was an internal crack in the radiator, allowing a bit of coolant to get into the transmission fluid - I thought I'd detected it early enough and gone to an external trans cooler, but in hindsight, maybe not. Also, the original torque converters start falling to bits, clogging up the filter and killing the gearbox. Looking back on it, I did notice that the lockup into 5th gear was slowly getting a bit clunky - probably a late warning sign that the TC is dying. If you're planning on keeping the car, and it sounds like it would be worth it being such low km, maybe factor in changing the torque converter over to a rebuilt (better) one before it starts to fall apart internally.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Speaking to a tuner before getting my old sv6 tuned, he suggested that another reason these 5l40e fail is because of the factory transmission calibration. He suggested that line pressure and some tuning adjustments should be made. That said, I haven’t heard anyone else mention factory calibration being a failure point on these transmissions

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
carcollector
sorry to hear you had issues,
can i ask what was the approx. cost of the rebuild for the 5L40E ?
when I was scavening around the wreckers yard looking for a 5L40E pan with a drain hole in it, came across a 6L50E, and wondered whether it was worth going to 6 speed
If you going to get the converter rebuilt then might as well make some changes down the track and the L680E is out of question due to bellhousing fitament then this maybe better option

To be frank my wife wasn't even aware there was 5 speed manual sports shift on the box, she puts the car in drive and ways she goes

On the VF SS @ 6 yr mark had the radiator develop a pin hole in plastic tank, so anything is possible, and would prefer to keep the trans cooling separate

So on this car which is 2009 V6 (52,000km), I would assume radiator is original and construction same as VF so possible time to replace as precautionary matter
Will look at this after I get on top of the VF/V8 trans filter/oil change next week
ahh we love the fun and games

Last edited:

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
carcollector
sorry to hear you had issues,
can i ask what was the approx. cost of the rebuild for the 5L40E ?
when I was scavening around the wreckers yard looking for a 5L40E pan with a drain hole in it, came across a 6L50E, and wondered whether it was worth going to 6 speed
If you going to get the converter rebuilt then might as well make some changes down the track and the L680E is out of question due to bellhousing fitament then this maybe better option

To be frank my wife wasn't even aware there was 5 speed manual sports shift on the box, she puts the car in drive and ways she goes

On the VF SS @ 6 yr mark had the radiator develop a pin hole in plastic tank, so anything is possible, and would prefer to keep the trans cooling separate

So on this car which is 2009 V6 (52,000km), I would assume radiator is original and construction same as VF so possible time to replace as precautionary matter
Will look at this after I get on top of the VF/V8 trans filter/oil change next week
ahh we love the fun and games
It wasn't cheap, and some would say it wasn't worth it for an older car with a lot of km, but it was just under $5k for a full rebuild. It was my daughter's WM Caprice which we have had in the family for a long time, we know its history and she loves the car. We went with Hasty Auto Trans in Ravenhall. - Luke. I can highly recommend them. Your car having done so few km, the auto trans itself is probably fine. Replacing just the torque converter might be good preventative work though. Not sure how much that would cost.

Fun and games? Yep. Am replacing the passenger front power window setup today. The original has cried "enough!".

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Thanks, VM Caprice nioce car
In the process of getting a 700R4 rebuilt, well havent pushed the button yet, as still trying to figure out how far I went to get into the trans with $$$
waiting for torque converter to come back from a tweak on stall, and to put back the clutch so can have the locked option
However have ordered some parts out of USA for the 700R4 build, as found difficult to purchase them locally and the stock that was around seemed a little over priced $$$ for my liking

Reactions: Lex