Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Body Kit Advice!!!!!

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
thanks to the people who commented on my pic, but heres a rear view with all the skirts on. its a bit four wheel drivish at the moment due to being engineless.

24022011545.jpg

clubsport-r8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6, VZ Clubsport R8
Damn that is a one of a kind kit, was it hard fitting the XR6 skirts?

I have a genuine Clubsport kit on my VS Exec and the VZ well it is a Clubsport, but I would never put a VY-VZ Clubsport kit on a VS or earlier, I like the look on genuine hsv kits.
However I do think the HSV E2 Series kits are a little over the top Series one GTS looked much nicer.

But that is just me.

Last edited:

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore

Mate, i have to give you my compliments, that is one of the best VS body kits i've ever seen, VY Clubsport?
And trust me, im pretty opinionated with body kits on VR/VS's as most of them look like dick.
Good work.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
Damn that is a one of a kind kit, was it hard fitting the XR6 skirts?

theyre about 4-5mm too short, but other wised theyre pretty much a perfect fit on my wagon. they had to be trimmed where they fit in under the doors but i reckon a bit of sikaflex and theyre not going anywhere. as for the rear bar skirt, i had to trim it back pretty far in order to stretch it around my bar, and its still a bit short near the arches, so i have another rear skirt that im just going to make extensions with. i want to make the rear bar one piece and smooth, so theres still more trimming on the bar yet, but so far, im very pleased with the way its turning out.

this is a photochop done by richie but this is the aim.

klampywagon-00.jpg

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Mate, i have to give you my compliments, that is one of the best VS body kits i've ever seen, VY Clubsport?
And trust me, im pretty opinionated with body kits on VR/VS's as most of them look like dick.
Good work.

Thanks, I am pretty pleased with the overall look. The bonnet is VR Monaro, the kit is VX R8 clubby. The rear wing was already on the car, looks like a factory VS SS but not sure.

The kit was crap, but I wanted that particular look so I had to buy it and make it good. The fit was terrible, the whole thing was way too flimsy and they basically just didn't give damn about the customer. I reasoned that at least the shape was right, so its been pretty heavily reinforced now, more than doubled its weight! I fixed all the fitting problems while I was at it. $100 worth of glass and resin, and about 8 hrs work and it looks good I reckon.

I guess in the end I saved a couple grand doing it this way too, the whole kit was $650, and a quality one would have been pushing 3 grand if I could have found exactly what I wanted. Not going to post a link because I didn't like the quality but if you are willing to do what I did, the kit came from XXX bodykits in Dandenong.

The bonnet was a separate purchase, from Sydney, and cant speak highly enough of it.. Monaro Fibreglass Bonnet The guy is a craftsman, if you want a kit see if he does one before asking anyone else. The bonnet on its own was $650 though.

Paint should happen within 2 weeks, vivid (spartan untinted) white with VE Atomic Green highlights, and clear pearl over the lot.

Klampy, looking forward to seeing the finished and prettied up front bar, I have a feeling I am going to either love it or hate it. I do like the rear bar, looks ace on the wagon. Simple but effective. Are you working with glass here or is it all proper plastic mouldings?

Last edited:

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
I've heard mixed things about XXX man, some seem to come out great, some come out shocking, its really annoying as obviously i am not too keen on spending 3-4 grand on a kit when the car itself is probably only worth that much, and its just for appearence, but again i don't want to pay a cent towards anything thats going to look ****. I was going to buy a mondaro style bonnet from him as well, i've heard great things, and the end results speak for themselves.

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
In my opinion the only body kit that looks any good on the vr vs commodores is the clubsport kit that they came out with, the gen3 body kits look like arse.

What you haev done with the ford combination doesn't look too bad eitherm goos on ya for doing something different

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
:eek: I always got told if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. So im not.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I've heard mixed things about XXX man, some seem to come out great, some come out shocking, its really annoying as obviously i am not too keen on spending 3-4 grand on a kit when the car itself is probably only worth that much, and its just for appearence, but again i don't want to pay a cent towards anything thats going to look ****. I was going to buy a mondaro style bonnet from him as well, i've heard great things, and the end results speak for themselves.

Buy the bonnet from Savage Fibreglass as I linked to. Its a bonnet.. it needs to be strong, and you will be seeing both sides of the panel, so you need it to look good on both sides.

The XXX stuff is too weak, soon as you drop the bonnet it will smash, and if its needs fixing, will be much harder to fix since you need both sides to look good.

The XXX kit was crap but only $650 its a good deal in the end if you are willing to do the work.

If you are expecting it to bolt on, fit well and not fall apart, I say steer clear of them. When I bought the kit, the guy told me that if I drove the car to Melbourne and paid $600 bucks extra, he would make the kit especially for the job so it could be fitted 'before it sets too hard, its more pliable and I can get a perfect fit that way.'

When I came to collect the car, parts of the kit were 15mm out... he said to me thats normal, once its painted you wont even notice it... took me out the back to show cars he had done and painted.. all were bad fits, and he said 'see you cant even notice'. I said you gotta be joking, this is half an inch too long here, fits badly there etc... then he tried to say 'obviously the car has been in an accident'. Not true, I have the full history of this car from the day it was made, every receipt, every service, the lot. Accident damage is easy to find, there is none, and of course is he saying that every finished car he showed me had also had accidents?

I hit a roo on the way home, obviously not his fault, but it showed me that underneath the gelcoat was completely dry fibreglass mat.. no resin!!!!!!!!!

If you dont mind doing the work, the cheap kit is a good option. If you cant or wont work with fibreglass, I would stay as far away as possible from XXX.

Last edited: