Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boomer the '78 kingswood

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exe Wagon, '78 HZ Kingswood SL, '79 HZ 1 Tonner
That book is great, I've got it myself.
The vn box won't bolt up, I'm half way through that conversion my self. You need to find a v8 trimatic, assuming its trimatic pattern, make sure the linkage is on the correct side. if you take it easy the banjo will cope, but if your going to give it a bit of stick, you'll find it won't last long, but it'll give you time to sort a new diff.

If you really wanted a t700 box, it either get the block drilled or conversion kit. Adaptor, tailshaft, box mount, adaptor plate or redrill, adaptor ring on the converter if using an adaptor and modify the torque converter, then you need to sort out speedo cable, kickdown cable and then the torque converter lock up!

A lot of work for an extra gear. I'm going it only because it was cheaper than building a new trimatic.

I'm not sure what can I have, but it's a reasonable one. I've heard I think it's a crane, tq20 cam, if you look it up on they're website it'll give you the rundown on specs to compare on other brands.

It'll be a good experience to build a 253, they're pretty simple, all your bolt torque specs are on page 77 (I think) in that book. Just have a check at all the bearings while the engines out, and do the rear main while it's out too, saves having to do it later doesn't the track

Taking donations of cash, card or full frontal nudity.

Firstly, my dear sir I am putting my first ever v8 in a car, how can you possibly expect me to spare the stick? :D

The trimatic gearbox is different from the 202 to the v8s?

-from an underfunded hoon

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I know how you feel, although I had two 1st cars, one was a 308!
I still give mine some stick every now and then.

I'm guessing you've got a 3.55 diff ratio?
Going to a 3.08, there is bugger all difference off the line, the only good part is you can overtake easier! I still think I could get the 3 on the tree manual 202 with 3.55 off the line and to 80kph quicker than a 253 auto with 3.08 ratio.
If you aren't sure where the ratio is on the diff, it's on the yoke on the front of the diff, scrape of the gunk as you turn it and you'll see it, if you want I'll take a pic for you

And unfortunately the boxes aren't the same, different bell housings and v8s had stronger internals, so if you had to build a box, I'd go a t700 conversion just because.
It'll be around the same cost, it'll just have to be engineered. But if you want to stick with building a box if you can't find a good second hand one, use your existing no for the pump, it's been said the 4 and 6 cyl boxes have better pumps in them are like new because there is no power through them and they're the same pump

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know how you feel, although I had two 1st cars, one was a 308!
I still give mine some stick every now and then.

I'm guessing you've got a 3.55 diff ratio?
Going to a 3.08, there is bugger all difference off the line, the only good part is you can overtake easier! I still think I could get the 3 on the tree manual 202 with 3.55 off the line and to 80kph quicker than a 253 auto with 3.08 ratio.
If you aren't sure where the ratio is on the diff, it's on the yoke on the front of the diff, scrape of the gunk as you turn it and you'll see it, if you want I'll take a pic for you

And unfortunately the boxes aren't the same, different bell housings and v8s had stronger internals, so if you had to build a box, I'd go a t700 conversion just because.
It'll be around the same cost, it'll just have to be engineered. But if you want to stick with building a box if you can't find a good second hand one, use your existing no for the pump, it's been said the 4 and 6 cyl boxes have better pumps in them are like new because there is no power through them and they're the same pump

Lol my first car was a 23 year old ford laser, i do actually miss that car.... A little, that thing cornered like a roller skate, until I blew the head gasket :D

I've seen a v8 trimatic going for $100 near me, I'll just have to see if it will last untill I can afford it, and hope it's ok

Also, my 253 head gaskets came in today so I can start reassembling the engine :-D

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Make sure you do rears in while its out, you'll save your self a lot if problems later on, may as well do all the gasket!

When I bought mine, I checked the bearings, checked bores, replaced welsh plugs, you may as well, and every seal except the head gaskets.

I'm glad I didn't do head gaskets, cos I needed them earlier this year when I done the top end.

Make sure it's a good box before pAying out cash, only because, I paid $100 for an unknown box just for the bell housing!
I wouldn't expect a good one for less than $250.

Make sure the linkage is in the right side.
You'll also need to chase up an inspection cover too. And a flywheel if the engine doesn't already have one, and a torque converter if you need one. And while the box is out, service that too

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well good news on the engine front!

To keep boomer registered and to avoid the dreaded blue slip, a mate who is wrecking a WB ute, is giving me the engine out of it, it's a tidy, dry 202 running straight cut gears, a small holley (which he might keep) and it will come with proper extractors, the engine has also been separated from heater core, so it should have minimal rust inside.

It will be a few weeks before we can get started ripping it out, but it's definitely a faster surer (cheaper) option than the 253. Which is starting to look like a lot of money for an interim engine.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Updates? This one and the other one

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Updates...none...unfortunatly, I havent touched it in weeks, been working too much and the ute has been a priority

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Went to brashernats yesterday. So many quality cars... So much inspiration there. I cant wait to get a big big v8 :D

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pulled the seats out of the car, today and lifted the carpet. It all looks pretty solid there.

20130610_103147_zpsd01f07ed.jpg

Gunna slap on some fish oil to help prevent this... Especially while she is just sitting around.
20130610_103206_zpsac806444.jpg

Don't you love dividing the loose change that falls under your seat? Yes there are 1 and 2 cent coins there
20130610_103222_zps4c8999bd.jpg

I'm looking to buy new carpet, tho, after seeking the colour fade, im not sure I will stick to the original colour
20130610_104043_zpsfe0a7909.jpg

So I just gotta clean it up and work out what this goo is
20130610_104158_zpscfe72fd4.jpg

The goo
20130610_105147_zps9cb22cb0.jpg

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
That goo is probably seam sealer, I'd leave it. But the floors look pretty good, you could just wore wheel it and then por15 it! Should protect it for just about life!