Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boss Capacitor

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
Hi
I have just finished installing the 1st phase of my audio upgrade ,that includes

Kenwood DDX4038bt
Polk 300watt splits
Alpine type S 1000watt Sub
Alpine Mpr600 (1320watt 4 ch amp)

and when my system hits big bass ,i can see my headlights and the internal lights go dim for that period of time and i would be starting the second phase upgrade in few days and that includes:-

Alpine Mpr1000 (2000watt) monoblock amp
Poineer 500watt 6x9 parcel shelf speakers
Another Alpine type s (1000watt )Sub

so my question is do i need a Capacitor, becoz i wanna refrane my self from upgrading the battery and the alternator.

I looked on Ebay and there are couple of Boss capacitor on sale for around $70 , I am only after a 2Farad capacitor but cant understand ,the product description says they are for 12v setup and i think my vy runs a 14v ,
All the Speakers will be running of the 4ch amp and 2 subs of the monblock

Has anyone tried or heard about the boss products and their capacitors .......they look to be fine but still not sure , shud go ahead or not.

If anyone else got any suggestion of any other brands can post the link up ...
thanks in advance

New BOSS CAP2B 2 Farad Digital Voltage Car Capacitor | eBay

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
caps r a waste of time unless they r over 10 farads but even then u prolly wont need it, so do the normal big 3 upgrade on ur engine bay grounds 1st as it will b needed.

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Your vy is 12v. When your car is on and the alternator kicks in it runs at 14.
I dunno why youd rather a capacitor then getting a new batter? It's just a bandaid solution.
Look up the big 3 upgrade and do that, that'll help voltage drop. I'd say get a new battery, optima yellow top d34, and that should fix it. Don't bother with capacitors IMO.
I say this from experience as I get a little voltage drop, not much but I haven done the big 3. And I'm running 2000wrms just for the subs.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
a cap will stop the dimming lights and if your system shuts off because it is drawing to much (which happened to me but a cap fixed it all which i brought a cheapy SSL 62 dollar one) but instead of buying a cap if you havnt done the big three upgrade, do it first then it should be all good

read through this to see what the big three is all about > http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/car-audio/164088-big-3-upgrade-vy-commodore.html

(after doing the big three with 1200rms i only have a 4volt drop) so form 14.4v it drops down to 14v and there is way less strain on the battery and alternator

caps are very dangerous too, if not installed correctly they can blow up, ever seen the little capcitors blow on youtube vids well the car audio ones are like 10x larger imagine what they would do.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
I say this from experience as I get a little voltage drop, not much but I haven done the big 3. And I'm running 2000wrms just for the subs.

oh wow, i was running a 500rms rf amp that was 67% efficient (class A/B) and it used to shut off after about 10 seconds of playing on max because it would draw to much power but i must admit a cap did fix that and it was a cheap option but after doing the big three id strongly recommend doing that first and its more permanent

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
oh wow, i was running a 500rms rf amp that was 67% efficient (class A/B) and it used to shut off after about 10 seconds of playing on max because it would draw to much power but i must admit a cap did fix that and it was a cheap option but after doing the big three id strongly recommend doing that first and its more permanent

You were running 500wrms and your amp used to go into protect? That sounds like poor wiring / too much gain. I run 2k wrms daily, never missed a beat no matter how loud

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm, thanks for all the replies, So shud think of upgrading the wiring in near the engine block but i am still keen on getting a Cap ... to be on a safer side as compared to the yellow top battery price the cap only cost around $70..

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
A capacitor is cheaper than a battery for a reason. What was the point in even posting the question if you get 5 + replies all saying the same thing, and then you just decide to go against what everyone has said anyway?

Take the advice given from those who actually know, rather than assuming you know best with little or no experience.

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Take the advice given from those who actually know, rather than assuming you know best with little or no experience.

hmm that makes sense mate,