Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake pads that are not too dusty ?

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
+1 for ceramic pads.
When I bought the CTS-v brakes the kit come with ceramic pads called “evolution plus” probably not the best initial when cold but get some heat in them and it hurts to hit them hard and zero brake dust even after 1000kms of mixed driving.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Can't comment on the quality of the Hawk pads, they seem to be popular in the states though

I'll add my own 2 cents worth of personal experience over the years
# Repco RCT Pads...…......….Great aftermarket pads, I was honestly really impressed with their stopping power, but dusty as hell
I fitted them to my missus' corolla and ended up throwing them in the bin after a couple of months as the amount of brake dust drove me insane....I ended up replacing them with Bendix GCT's

# Some Supercheap crap...…Can't remember the name, but they were absolutely useless, I ended up tossing them in favour of the Bendix GCT's as well

# Bendix Ultimate......………..Cheaper alternative to the Bendix SRT's that work extremely on the street as well as Track Days, they have great stopping power but are dusty as hell too

# Bendix Heavy Duty...……….Work really well once warmed up and no issues ever with excessive brake dust

# Bendix GCT...…...…......…...Have been using them for as long as I can remember on my daily drivers
My personal opinion is that they are a great pad for daily driven street car and I've never experienced any brake dust issues with them
They are my pad of choice for a non performance orientated daily driver

I can't comment on the QFM pads, but most probably like you, I've read plenty of good things about them on the forum over the last few years
The other brand of pads that I have read good things about online is the EBC red & yellow pads

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
QFM HPX. I have used them on several cars, including my 2 cars now.
Impresssive - low dust and no squealing. They just work in the real world.
The improvement over standard or Bendix anything is significant (actually it is stunning). For track use, maybe something else say the QFMs with less fade at high temperatures or some exotic brand if it makes you feel better.
I put them on a car in 2010 and due to the step up in performance for the price have never used anything else since.
Etxremely well priced for what you get - but I can understand that some people feel they have to pay more to feel they've got something better.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Can't comment on the quality of the Hawk pads, they seem to be popular in the states though

I'll add my own 2 cents worth of personal experience over the years
# Repco RCT Pads...…......….Great aftermarket pads, I was honestly really impressed with their stopping power, but dusty as hell
I fitted them to my missus' corolla and ended up throwing them in the bin after a couple of months as the amount of brake dust drove me insane....I ended up replacing them with Bendix GCT's

# Some Supercheap crap...…Can't remember the name, but they were absolutely useless, I ended up tossing them in favour of the Bendix GCT's as well

# Bendix Ultimate......………..Cheaper alternative to the Bendix SRT's that work extremely on the street as well as Track Days, they have great stopping power but are dusty as hell too

# Bendix Heavy Duty...……….Work really well once warmed up and no issues ever with excessive brake dust

# Bendix GCT...…...…......…...Have been using them for as long as I can remember on my daily drivers
My personal opinion is that they are a great pad for daily driven street car and I've never experienced any brake dust issues with them
They are my pad of choice for a non performance orientated daily driver

I can't comment on the QFM pads, but most probably like you, I've read plenty of good things about them on the forum over the last few years
The other brand of pads that I have read good things about online is the EBC red & yellow pads

Thanks mate. Bendix would probably be good for me but they no longer make them for my front brakes. The old part number was DB1925.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I have seen people report that the QFM HPX pads work well with low dust.

IIRC, @426Cuda may have them. Hopefully he will chime in.
Good memory recall mate. Yes, I have QFM HPX on my VF Redline. Front and rear (rears are 4 pot Brembo also). T3 4000 rotors. They work great and are what I consider very low dust for the performance. The initial bite is greater than the stock brakes on my Motorsport. They are due for replacement. All around. Too much pedal travel and I noticed them starting to shudder ever so slightly when I last drove down the Clyde Mountain. I'm not sure of the KM's. I'd guess at least 50,000. I rate them 8/10. By comparison, EBC Redstuff pads bite a little harder. But, they are dirty little suckers and they wore out super quick on my car. That said I am very hard on brakes. My Wife reminds me of this very often and she's right. But, I love the effortless late braking!
Any squeal is not due to these pads.
I will be replacing mine shortly and reapplying some brake grease. I had heard QFM had ceased production? I hope that is incorrect. I haven't asked the good Dr yet.
Jump on a set Ron. You won't be dissappointed.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Good memory recall mate. Yes, I have QFM HPX on my VF Redline. Front and rear (rears are 4 pot Brembo also). T3 4000 rotors. They work great and are what I consider very low dust for the performance. The initial bite is greater than the stock brakes on my Motorsport. They are due for replacement. All around. Too much pedal travel and I noticed them starting to shudder ever so slightly when I last drove down the Clyde Mountain. I'm not sure of the KM's. I'd guess at least 50,000. I rate them 8/10. By comparison, EBC Redstuff pads bite a little harder. But, they are dirty little suckers and they wore out super quick on my car. That said I am very hard on brakes. My Wife reminds me of this very often and she's right. But, I love the effortless late braking!
Any squeal is not due to these pads.
I will be replacing mine shortly and reapplying some brake grease. I had heard QFM had ceased production? I hope that is incorrect. I haven't asked the good Dr yet.
Jump on a set Ron. You won't be dissappointed.
Thanks mate. Qfm does not make them for my front brakes. I wish they were Brembo or just standard to give me more choice for pads and rotors !
This odd brake option I never asked for is giving me the shits

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Thanks mate. Qfm does not make them for my front brakes. I wish they were Brembo or just standard to give me more choice for pads and rotors !
This odd brake option I never asked for is giving me the shits
Bugger. Still gotta be worth it, over the stock brakes.
I would buy EBC Redstuff again. Despite wearing quickly I found them rather aggressive on the rotors too. But jeez they work well. They'll make your eyes pop.
Talk to the good folk at Brakes Direct mate. They'll sort you out.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Bugger. Still gotta be worth it, over the stock brakes.
I would buy EBC Redstuff again. Despite wearing quickly I found them rather aggressive on the rotors too. But jeez they work well. They'll make your eyes pop.
Talk to the good folk at Brakes Direct mate. They'll sort you out.

Thanks mate. They are decent brakes for every day, but ugly as sin and limiting my parts options.

Brakes Direct recommended Remsa for me and I had them before....
I just forgot how dusty they are.

The dust is so bad that the inside of the front door (outside the rubber seal) is getting coated in black dust not to mention rear bumper and back of the boot lid. It's everywhere...
They are worse than OEM pads and Bendix Ultimate. Definitely the dustiest pad I ever encountered.

Might look into Hawk for the front as they seem to be a better performing ceramic with not much dust.
I am just worried I am not gonna like the lack of initial bite as I hear about ceramic brake pads in general...

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Hey @Ron Burgundy this could be a nice little upgrade for and that would make life finding brake pads and rotors much easier and no mod plate needed.
BE5E2AC9-C879-482B-B296-4C74421CD464.jpeg
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/202946511778