Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake upgrade for SS

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I am not super impressed with factory SS brakes so i am planning to upgrade. I will stick with same size brakes only much better stuff. I did this with my SV6 in the past and the upgrade was worth the money.

I am looking at DBA 4000 xs series, cross drilled and slotted rotors. They are just under 900 bucks for all 4.
Also looking at DBA slotted T2 which are much cheaper than 4000 xs.

My dillema is what pads to get.
I will not go with stock PBR stuff. I had Remsa in the past and they were less than impressive..very dusty and chewed through my DBA T2 rotors..

What would match these rotors well ?

I am not after track performance just something better than stock with low noise and dust if possible.

What is the deal with Bendix these days ?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
So you really swapped out the factory rotors with slotted & cross-drilled ones in the past, and there was a noticeable difference?
I'm really surprised.
I guess the 5%-ish improvement that I'd expect would be good if they were "borderline" previously, because that would push the edge (like ... I dunno, maybe like that extra 5% getting you aquaplaning in a boat).

Don't forget this thing weighs more & gets to any speed faster than your SV6 did (making assumptions I know, hopefully for the accuracy of the statement the gamble pays off & the SV6 wasn't heavily modded or something :)).

Hasn't it been said that the Brembos fit under the 18" wheels these days, unlike VF? What about a less-popular-now-VF2-has-red set of silver VF1 Redline front Brembos? I'm sure I've seen them on eBay for $900, and I personally think that will give a better result than stock-sized drilled/slotted replacement rotors all-round.

NOTE: This is all based on experience & observations from long ago & a galaxy far far away, have no experience with messing with brakes on a VF.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Just put heavy duty Bendix in my GTS with the yellow 6 pot brakes. They're great for a street pad and price wise tough to beat. Was $130 for the front pair and $150 for the rears.
I'd go the T3 4000's personally - great rotors and they look like a piece of art behind those rims.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Trade it in for a Redline: Brakes - fixed!, Engine cold-start rattle - Fixed (hopefully)!

:)

warrick

Reaction score
Website
members.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VF 6.0 CALAIS V
i fitted the T2 slotted rotors and QFM HPX pads to my VF1 calais and i am happy.no dust to speak of and for daily use do a better job than what was in it. if you were tracking it etc ,yes definately would upgrade further. have had to do a couple of full on emergency stops and they performed well up to par.no noise either. price for pads around $80 a set from one of the sponsors.
cheers
warrick

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I am not super impressed with factory SS brakes so i am planning to upgrade. I will stick with same size brakes only much better stuff. I did this with my SV6 in the past and the upgrade was worth the money.

I am looking at DBA 4000 xs series, cross drilled and slotted rotors. They are just under 900 bucks for all 4.
Also looking at DBA slotted T2 which are much cheaper than 4000 xs.

My dillema is what pads to get.
I will not go with stock PBR stuff. I had Remsa in the past and they were less than impressive..very dusty and chewed through my DBA T2 rotors..

What would match these rotors well ?

I am not after track performance just something better than stock with low noise and dust if possible.

What is the deal with Bendix these days ?
Tracked at malalla in SA a few times with upgraded rotors and Bendix pads and car ran great,. Mate in redline boiled his brakes just a series one so change fluid

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The stock brake setup on a stock car is just fine for the street.

If you need brakes on the street that are capable of multiple quick succession emergency hard stopping maneuvers then you seriously need to adjust your driving style.

If the upgrade is for aesthetic reasons only or if you're going to substantially upgrade the power output then that I can understand.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
So you really swapped out the factory rotors with slotted & cross-drilled ones in the past, and there was a noticeable difference?
I'm really surprised.
I guess the 5%-ish improvement that I'd expect would be good if they were "borderline" previously, because that would push the edge (like ... I dunno, maybe like that extra 5% getting you aquaplaning in a boat).

Don't forget this thing weighs more & gets to any speed faster than your SV6 did (making assumptions I know, hopefully for the accuracy of the statement the gamble pays off & the SV6 wasn't heavily modded or something :)).

Hasn't it been said that the Brembos fit under the 18" wheels these days, unlike VF? What about a less-popular-now-VF2-has-red set of silver VF1 Redline front Brembos? I'm sure I've seen them on eBay for $900, and I personally think that will give a better result than stock-sized drilled/slotted replacement rotors all-round.

NOTE: This is all based on experience & observations from long ago & a galaxy far far away, have no experience with messing with brakes on a VF.
I'm really surprised.

18" wheels on my SS do not clear brembo brakes. They hardly clear stock calipers. 19" work though but i am not interested on completely new brake setup and wheels. I found that good rotors and pads offer noticeable improvement to stock standard brake setup. Slight upgrade is sufficient for my purposes in this instance.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Trade it in for a Redline: Brakes - fixed!, Engine cold-start rattle - Fixed (hopefully)!

:)

Nah..this is the car i really wanted...
I secretly enjoy pain and misery..

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
The stock brake setup on a stock car is just fine for the street.

If you need brakes on the street that are capable of multiple quick succession emergency hard stopping maneuvers then you seriously need to adjust your driving style.

If the upgrade is for aesthetic reasons only or if you're going to substantially upgrade the power output then that I can understand.

Yes they might be fine ... but for just over a grand and straight swap they can be better... and look better too :)