Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake upgrade for SS

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
I think 'police spec' brake pads were just Bedix Ultimate
The police brake setup is the larger rotor and larger single pot calipers that was an option from the factory for about $500.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The police brake setup is the larger rotor and larger single pot calipers that was an option from the factory for about $500.

Plus a bigger Master Cylinder.

My VF1 SS had the police brake set up. Quite a noticeable difference over the standard brakes. I'm assuming it was just different pads, though I've heard the rotors were thicker too
And unlike the Brembo's on my VF2, they don't squeel like a bitch every time i reverse

Stock SS rotors are 321mmx30mm and the upgrade is 345mmx30mm.

The Redline Brembo have a 355mmx32mm front rotor and a 360mmx28mm rear.

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
I am not super impressed with factory SS brakes so i am planning to upgrade. I will stick with same size brakes only much better stuff. I did this with my SV6 in the past and the upgrade was worth the money.

I am looking at DBA 4000 xs series, cross drilled and slotted rotors. They are just under 900 bucks for all 4.
Also looking at DBA slotted T2 which are much cheaper than 4000 xs.

My dillema is what pads to get.
I will not go with stock PBR stuff. I had Remsa in the past and they were less than impressive..very dusty and chewed through my DBA T2 rotors..

What would match these rotors well ?

I am not after track performance just something better than stock with low noise and dust if possible.

What is the deal with Bendix these days ?

If your going to take it to the track, then yes but bigger Rotors just for the road is a waste. Just doing what you are wont make much improvement anyway. Ive got the standard SS and opted for the Police spec which are awesome in my opinion.

My last car was a Renault Megane Cup 265 2014, pretty much track car for the road.. I think Brembo brakes are over kill for the street

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
As mentioned in "15,000 km Service" thread, anyone who has a squealing Brembo brake and still under warranty, the dealer workshop can fix it with "iinsulator-RR Disc Brk Pad" GM92507424 and apply lubricant to front brake caliper GDE pin. GM19303310. I have it done last week and so far no squeals, even in reverse.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
Ive got the standard SS and opted for the Police spec which are awesome in my opinion.

My last car was a Renault Megane Cup 265 2014, pretty much track car for the road.. I think Brembo brakes are over kill

I have the police brakes too, and I agree they stop really well in my usage.
I’m only keen for brembos for the improved look, as time passes it’s becoming less and less important.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Does anyone know whether Australian police forces got this "police brake setup"?
Given that before VF2 it was a US-targeted product for Caprices.

The reason for me saying that was, as well as being curious to know, if the answer is "no they just had SV6 or SS brakes" then the Aus police spec pads would fit a non-factory-brake-upgrade SS or SV6.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
I’ve seen them on HWP

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
I paid the $500 for the larger master cylinder and discs and pleased I did (when compared to my previous std VF brakes).
Re your question for what its worth I assume so and pads have been discussed on this forum.
The article below claims http://www.news.com.au/technology/i...s/news-story/b8a622241122c9ebd30c8420665d61e1
'Both Ford and Holden had to upgrade their brakes on NSW highway patrol cars once the test was introduced'.
Also this ad - Holden Commodore SS V8
Price:
$48,690
0 to 100km/h: 5.0 seconds
High performance brakes: the same used by US police

On the US SS site; re Caprice Police Cars: 'There will be a 2017 PPV just as there will be a 2017 SS. The WM Caprice ended in 2013, and is now WN--in the case of the PPV, the shifter went from a floor position (depending on 9C1 or 9C3 the configuration varied) to a shift lever on the "column", but actually it's coming out of the IP.
The WN car got many of the same changes under the skin as VE>VF, but externally the car remained un-changed. Electrical architecture also changed from 2013>2014 PPV as a variant of what is on VF.
Brakes for PPV are common with G8 & 2014 SS at the rear (324mm), but unique on front, using a single-piston floating caliper common with Gen5 Camaro V6, but clamping a 345mm rotor and using quite aggressive pads. The front rotor is actually common with 2nd Gen CTS V6 J55 brake package, but that car used a twin-piston caliper instead of the single-piston "KISS" setup on PPV.'

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
I have some Brembo calipers and pads for sale to suit VF.

Bought from Planet for a project that isn't going to go ahead.

Front and rear set of 4 in red with pads. (They're Camaro Take offs painted as per the Planet Parts site.)

If you're buying rotors you may as well buy redline rotors and do the job properly! :)

Retail at $1,850.00 yours for $1,500.00 plus postage if you cant pick up in Melbourne.

Email me for pics. [email protected]

trying to work out how to post in the for sale section....

gazda1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Hi guys do you know if the rears were upgraded im trying to avoid measuring and taking out brakes, front I know are I had them done. Rear rotor is 324mm but wanting pads from dba they said there are police one and none. part numbers are

DB2267SP no police and​

DB2260SP police​