Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake upgrade for SS

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Tracked at malalla in SA a few times with upgraded rotors and Bendix pads and car ran great,. Mate in redline boiled his brakes just a series one so change fluid
What bendix pads did you run ?

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
Go DBA 4000 grooved rotors with QFM pads from Motorsport in QLD the cheapest,had them on my VE SS n couldn't fault them.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
4000 series T3 are a bit cheaper than 4000 series XS.
Might go with that...

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
T3 is how I’d go with decent pads. Will look better but I’d be surprised if you see a lot of improvement.
My stock brakes were pretty good for street use to be honest, my Brembos were an improvement but really were an aesthetic mod.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I didn't like the long pedal and squishy feel with the stockos on my SS, hence the Brembo upgrade.

Many years ago I had a VT I did the old upgraded pads and rotors on, felt a lot better but the Brembos are so worth the coin IMO.

I've got Bendix Ultimates on my other half's Clubsport, really don't rate them. They pull up well but squeal horribly, make heaps of dust and I hear bad things about them chewing rotors.

Try an EBC pad with the T3's, I've heard good things about them.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I didn't like the long pedal and squishy feel with the stockos on my SS, hence the Brembo upgrade.

Many years ago I had a VT I did the old upgraded pads and rotors on, felt a lot better but the Brembos are so worth the coin IMO.

I've got Bendix Ultimates on my other half's Clubsport, really don't rate them. They pull up well but squeal horribly, make heaps of dust and I hear bad things about them chewing rotors.

Try an EBC pad with the T3's, I've heard good things about them.

What did your brake upgrade to Brembo involve ?

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
My VF1 SS had the police brake set up. Quite a noticeable difference over the standard brakes. I'm assuming it was just different pads, though I've heard the rotors were thicker too
And unlike the Brembo's on my VF2, they don't squeel like a bitch every time i reverse

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
My VF1 SS had the police brake set up. Quite a noticeable difference over the standard brakes. I'm assuming it was just different pads, though I've heard the rotors were thicker too
And unlike the Brembo's on my VF2, they don't squeel like a bitch every time i reverse

I think 'police spec' brake pads were just Bedix Ultimate

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I think 'police spec' brake pads were just Bedix Ultimate
Could be, I've done 30k on 4000 rotors and pads and no dramas, little dusty but no squeal, was told trick with track days is cool down laps, never Park car with hot brakes keep air flow up even if putting around the pits.