Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake upgrade from SSV to SSVR Brembo's - Take 2

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
For those interested, I finally got an answer back from Holden, this is what the 'JIS 48' means:

"JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standard. This is the governing body in Japan that control and stipulate standards for Industry in quality and manufacture. These standards are often recognised worldwide. JIS 48 relates to metal and metal alloy as used in the wheel".

So there goes my theory. I have emailed back and asked them for the offset of my rims, so even though I worked it out at 48 (that was with the tyre on unfortunately, so could not accurately work it out from the dead centre of the rim), I am assuming that's wrong, and they will be 40.

I don’t think that info is correct.

From what I’ve always been told the J is the symbol for the type (shape) of rim contour and is often referred to as the bead profile where the rim meets the tyre.

J is the most common contour design for most passenger vehicles and it will be stamped into the rim after the width.

There are a number of other contour profiles for the rim lips which all have their own designated letter.

Symbol & Usage

A = Bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, scooters, vans, lorries, forklifts

B = Old wheels up to 6" wide, sometimes found on the old VW Beetle

D = Bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, scooters, vans, lorries, forklifts

E = Lorries, vans, tractors (front wheel drive) with "semi-drop" wheels (see below)

F = Vans, lorries, forklifts with "semi-drop" wheels

G, H = Vans, lorries with "semi-drop" wheels

J = Passenger cars

JJ = 4x4 SUVs

P, K = Found sometimes in older cars such as VW Beetle, Jaguar

S = Commercial vehicles with "flatbase" wheels

T, V = Commercial vehicles with "flatbase" wheels

W = Agricultural tractors, mainly on the rear axle

EH2 = Run Flat for some manufacturers

The IS48 means positive 48 offset.

ET is the most commonly used symbol but manufacturers like BMW have always used the symbol IS to indicate offset and you will also find it on other rims depending on the manufacturer.

Here’s a couple of photos of the markings on my OEM HF-20 from my 2016 Redline.

Front Rim
IMG_7422a.jpg

Rear Rim
IMG_7432a.jpg

Last edited:

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
I don’t think that info is correct.

From what I’ve always been told the J is the symbol for the type (shape) of rim contour and is often referred to as the bead profile where the rim meets the tyre.

J is the most common contour design for most passenger vehicles and it will be stamped into the rim after the width.

There are a number of other contour profiles for the rim lips which all have their own designated letter.

Symbol & Usage

A = Bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, scooters, vans, lorries, forklifts

B = Old wheels up to 6" wide, sometimes found on the old VW Beetle

D = Bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, scooters, vans, lorries, forklifts

E = Lorries, vans, tractors (front wheel drive) with "semi-drop" wheels (see below)

F = Vans, lorries, forklifts with "semi-drop" wheels

G, H = Vans, lorries with "semi-drop" wheels

J = Passenger cars

JJ = 4x4 SUVs

P, K = Found sometimes in older cars such as VW Beetle, Jaguar

S = Commercial vehicles with "flatbase" wheels (see below)

T, V= Commercial vehicles with "flatbase" wheels

W = Agricultural tractors, mainly on the rear axle

EH2 = Run Flat for some manufacturers

The IS48 means positive 48 offset.

ET is the most commonly used symbol but manufacturers like BMW have always used the symbol IS to indicate offset and you will also find it on other rims depending on the manufacturer.

Here’s a couple of photos of the markings on my OEM HF-20 from my 2016 Redline.

Front Rim
View attachment 204441
Rear Rim
View attachment 204442

Thanks panhead........... mmmmmm interesting eh. I do remember reading that J stood for what you posted above. It did seem coincidental that along with the rim size was the 48 at the end, which would make sense that it would be the offset.

The reply was from somewhere within Holden technical via customer support. So do you think they purposefully gave me a BS answer to stop people doing the kind of thing I'm doing? Wouldn't put it past them. Thanks for the pics as well. I'll try to do a more accurate remeasure on the weekend, but with the info you just provided I recon you are on the money.

Nenad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 STORM
Yeah I have a mate who has a VFII and I looked at his clearance, it wasn't much.

Where did it say et48, on the inside face of the spokes, or inside the rim itself (ie if you have a tyre fitted you can't see it)? There are quite a few markings stamped on the inside face of the spokes, but none of them give the et.
20190329_132759.jpg here we go, i took my spare wheel out ( same as the ones i have on a car) IS48 is an offset marking.

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
View attachment 204443 here we go, i took my spare wheel out ( same as the ones i have on a car) IS48 is an offset marking.
Thanks for taking the time to do that Nenad, champ. So as per panheads post above, not ET48 but IS48. Your stamp is the same as mine then and in the same position, sweet. So Holden are in fact full of ito_O.

Mmmmm, i might reconsider just sticking with current rims then (the HSVi's are nice though, but it will save me huge $).

Appreciate your input guys.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Thanks panhead........... mmmmmm interesting eh. I do remember reading that J stood for what you posted above. It did seem coincidental that along with the rim size was the 48 at the end, which would make sense that it would be the offset.

The reply was from somewhere within Holden technical via customer support. So do you think they purposefully gave me a BS answer to stop people doing the kind of thing I'm doing? Wouldn't put it past them. Thanks for the pics as well. I'll try to do a more accurate remeasure on the weekend, but with the info you just provided I recon you are on the money.

There are a lot of lazy people who can't be bothered to help out with a correct answer or say a simple 'I don't know' and of course sometimes people can just get it wrong, I've done that many many times myself.

+48 is the 'go to offset' for Holden when it comes to late model Commodore rims and usually the only change to that will be for staggered fitments.

I'm not aware of a +40 offset for an OEM VF Commodore rim but that doesn't mean they don't exist, it's just not something I've heard of.

Here’s a photo of the OEM HF-20 rims with OEM 4 pot brakes.

There are no clearance issues as Holden like most manufacturers always err on the side of conservativism for safety and longevity reasons and you could easily go 6 pot if you wished.

IMG_3861a.jpg

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate, yeah don't worry, I've been caught out as well giving wrong info. As my car is the same colour as your ute (although you have since changed from the HF-20's now haven't you?), the colour combo with the HF's with the Brembos looks awesome.

Mmmm should I start a poll as to whether I stick with my current rims and save $ or go the HF's:confused::confused::confused:

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Quick update guys, I decided to go with the front Brembo kit which I received today (they look awesome) from the guy selling stuff via gumtree. He was great to deal with and very helpful regardless of my 1000 questions to him, so from my experience I can recommend him.

I also decided to keep my 19" SSV rims, so now time to fit these babies and see if they fit (Ron, Nenad and panhead give me confidence that they will), which will be end of this week or next week. Will update with a pic (hopefully) once fitted.

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, had the Brembo's fitted today. By the looks of mine, slightly less clearance than that of Nenad, approx 1mm on one side and between 1mm and 2mm on the other, depending on what spoke is sitting over the caliper at the time. So a bee's d#@k clearance, hopefully I won't have any dramas.

They feel pretty bloody good I must say, and look the business, so here are some pics, hard to see on the closeup the clearance:

VF with Front Brembo - reduced.jpg

VF SSV wheel with Brembo close up - reduced.jpg

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Great job mate. They look good

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Ron. I must admit that I am a little concerned about the clearance between wheel and caliper. Whilst my wheels might have a 48 offset, obviously the spoke design of the Redline wheels differs to give a bit more clearance than these do.

Do you guys think I am cutting it too fine?